Old 11-06-2003, 12:08 AM
DigitalVinyl

Default little empty shells on the lawn...

I spotted three empty curled shells...from snails I presumed. Bigger
than 1/2" diameter. I spotted another two in a row of tomato plants.

I'm guessing this is snails? I'm guess these guys cast off their
shells and grow new ones? I thought they just kept growing them
bigger. Is this a size of a healthy growing family or them dying.
Never noticed the casts offs on the lawn before...only a few short
feet from the vegetables.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Old 11-06-2003, 12:20 AM
Thalocean2

No, snails never cast of their shells. Something probably had a midnight snack
on your lawn and left the remains.

Laura B.

Old 11-06-2003, 12:32 AM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

I spotted three empty curled shells...from snails I presumed. Bigger
than 1/2" diameter. I spotted another two in a row of tomato plants.

I'm guessing this is snails? I'm guess these guys cast off their
shells and grow new ones? I thought they just kept growing them
bigger. Is this a size of a healthy growing family or them dying.
Never noticed the casts offs on the lawn before...only a few short
feet from the vegetables.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

They do not shed shells. You're just seeing the remnant of the shells of
snails that died. When shells are hollowed out by beetles after being
poisoned or denydrated, they're usually in more discrete locations. But
shells may accumulate in exposed areas because is there are rodent-like
insectivores, large tiger, spotted, or mole salamanders, skink lizards,
hedgehogs, & some birds such as morning doves & pigeons that can get
snails out without damage to the shells. Possums & skunks eat them too
but usually crunch up the shells, though I could imagine an occasional
dainty eater who pulls the snails out whole.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 11-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

DigitalVinyl wrote:

I spotted three empty curled shells...from snails I presumed. Bigger
than 1/2" diameter. I spotted another two in a row of tomato plants.

I'm guessing this is snails? I'm guess these guys cast off their
shells and grow new ones?

No. Something yanked them out of the shells and ate them. Birds
will do this.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 11-06-2003, 04:56 PM
DigitalVinyl

Thanks all. some of the shells had missing pieces and one was cleaved
in half. I've got birds overhead all day long so it was likely any on
of the dozen or two of them.

Five less plant eaters on the ground, yeah!

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Old 11-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:37:57 -0700, (paghat)
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Don't snails start out small and get bigger? Do they just continue to
add segments to their shells and retreat from the very small
beginnings?

Never mind. I finally figured out the proper Google query:

snail shell growth

They *do* appear to just keep adding on. And can repair some shell
damage along the way. I *love* this newsgroup. :-)

[IMG] code is On

Little yellow shells bob the builder Gardening 6 10-06-2009 12:12 AM
little by little, grocers grasp over pretty kiosks, unless they're empty Wednesday United Kingdom 0 24-07-2005 02:32 PM
Happyness is Empty Snail Shells, Where Do they go? Kathy Gardening 5 25-04-2003 07:20 PM
Pecaan shells needed bobwhite Texas 3 05-04-2003 12:10 PM
Where can I buy a tonne of shells in the SW Gadget United Kingdom 1 13-11-2002 11:31 PM