Old 11-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Theo

Default Keeping plants watered when you are away

This summer i will be going on vacation for three weeks and I'm
wondering how to keep my plants watered. I was thinking about using
wicks but I am a little unclear on how to do it. Also, I once read
about these crystals that absorb water and release it slowly. Would
this work?

Thank You
-Theo
Old 12-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Punch

"Theo" wrote in message
om...
This summer i will be going on vacation for three weeks and I'm
wondering how to keep my plants watered. I was thinking about using
wicks but I am a little unclear on how to do it. Also, I once read
about these crystals that absorb water and release it slowly. Would
this work?

ask a neighbour!

Old 12-06-2003, 06:20 AM
-- pelirojaroja

Depends on what kind of watering you need. I am assuming that you
have containers, based on your mention of wicks. I don't know where
you live, or what type of plants/containers/sun conditions you have --
all those factors play into account.

Personally, I pay a neighbor kid to come and water my containers and
garden while I'm gone. I showed him how to check, and how I wanted
everything watered. So far, he has been reliable (I talk to the
parents, too, so he doesn't forget!)and the plants have looked great
when I come back.

I think 3 weeks is really long to be away without a reliable human to
check on things and water for you.

-- pelirojaroja

Old 12-06-2003, 06:56 AM

I put soaker hoses on everything and then used one of those timers to water every
other day. yes, those crystals do work in hanging pots, but not for 3 weeks.
INgrid

This summer i will be going on vacation for three weeks and I'm
wondering how to keep my plants watered. I was thinking about using
wicks but I am a little unclear on how to do it. Also, I once read
about these crystals that absorb water and release it slowly. Would
this work?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 12-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Phisherman

I went on a vacation for two weeks. Some plants need more water than
others, so I built a tent from a dry cleaning bag and set it in bright
light (no sun). When I returned from vacation the plants inside the
tent grew fast due to the greenhouse effect. Most plants did well
without any water at all.

Old 13-06-2003, 02:08 AM
GrampysGurl

yes, those crystals do work in hanging pots, but not for 3 weeks.
INgrid

You can actually buy large quantities and put them in the ground.... What that
does to the environment I have no clue but it is possible to do. I love them in
my window boxes, the plants bake out there in the sun all day, and I can get
away with watering every other day if I need to, other wise they need it twice
a day... admittedly I have a little more then suggested in my pots lol. I have
to water my boxes because the rain doesn't reach.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut
Old 13-06-2003, 02:08 AM
GrampysGurl

I think 3 weeks is really long to be away without a reliable human to
check on things and water for you.

-- pelirojaroja

I could get away with it, my containers may not make it but my gardens would
fair well, I planted it that way..... Last year was my first year without
watering.... we had a drought and almost all my plants made it through, I only
watered new shrubs and trees otherwise they were on their own. I use a lot of
natives and wild flowers that are pretty drought tolerant.
Colleen
zone 5 Connecticut.

[IMG] code is On

Symptoms of over-watered Tomatoe plants? higgledy Edible Gardening 7 11-08-2006 04:17 AM
Keeping snakes away plat4 Australia 21 01-10-2003 03:20 AM
Animals in the suburbs was Keeping snakes away Trish Brown Australia 1 23-09-2003 01:35 AM
Keeping critters away - sprinkler motion sensors Gary Flynn Edible Gardening 5 11-04-2003 03:56 AM
Keeping critters away Jim Carter Edible Gardening 0 08-04-2003 04:32 PM