GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sterilize Trees (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/31566-sterilize-trees.html)

RandyB 12-06-2003 05:08 AM

Sterilize Trees

Does anybody know how to stop a tree from fruiting short of killing
it. I have a walnut tree that I sure would like to stop it from
fruiting next year.

Tsu Dho Nimh 12-06-2003 12:56 PM

Sterilize Trees

(RandyB) wrote:

Does anybody know how to stop a tree from fruiting short of killing
it. I have a walnut tree that I sure would like to stop it from
fruiting next year.

Some trees can be sprayed with a fruit retarding hormone. Call
an arborist and ask about the walnut.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both

TOM KAN PA 12-06-2003 05:44 PM

Sterilize Trees

Would this also stop a maple tree from producing those damn helicopter seeds?

Mike Lyle 12-06-2003 09:08 PM

Sterilize Trees

(RandyB) wrote in message om...
Does anybody know how to stop a tree from fruiting short of killing
it. I have a walnut tree that I sure would like to stop it from
fruiting next year.

Pickled green walnuts are *the* best thing to go with cold turkey if
you don't succeed.

Mike.

Beecrofter 13-06-2003 01:56 AM

Sterilize Trees

c (TOM KAN PA) wrote in message ...
Would this also stop a maple tree from producing those damn helicopter seeds?

A chainsaw will.
In landscaping the trend has been to go with all male trees where the
trees are monoecious. This leads to hellacious amounts of pollen in
the air.
Buy stock in allergy drugs.