GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Weed Identification assistance please! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/31708-weed-identification-assistance-please.html)

Larry 13-06-2003 03:08 AM

Weed Identification assistance please!

Hi:

My lawn is being attacked by a specific weed. It is right next to an area
that we had wildfloweres several years ago. I took a picture with my
digital camera and the weed can be seen at the following link

ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p1.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p2.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p3.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated as to what it is and how to rid the lawn of it.

Larry

Shepherd 13-06-2003 03:20 AM

"Larry" ld @ nospam.com wrote in message
Hi:

My lawn is being attacked by a specific weed. It is right next to an area
that we had wildfloweres several years ago. I took a picture with my
digital camera and the weed can be seen at the following link

ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p1.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p2.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p3.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated as to what it is and how to rid the lawn of

it.

Larry

Your links won't work

What website (URL) are your links to?

Shepherd

BiG_Orange 13-06-2003 03:32 AM

Weed Identification assistance please!

http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p1.jpg
http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p2.jpg
http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p3.jpg

Travis 13-06-2003 03:32 AM

Shepherd wrote:
"Larry" ld @ nospam.com wrote in message
Hi:

My lawn is being attacked by a specific weed. It is right next to
an area that we had wildfloweres several years ago. I took a
picture with my digital camera and the weed can be seen at the
following link

ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p1.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p2.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p3.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated as to what it is and how to rid the
lawn of it.

Larry

Your links won't work

Just put http:// in front of the links. OE will go there without the http.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Travis 13-06-2003 03:32 AM

Larry wrote:
Hi:

My lawn is being attacked by a specific weed. It is right next to an
area that we had wildfloweres several years ago. I took a picture
with my digital camera and the weed can be seen at the following link

ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p1.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p2.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p3.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated as to what it is and how to rid the lawn
of it.

Kind of looks like Yarrow but the pictures are blurry and it's hard to tell.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Shepherd 13-06-2003 03:44 AM

Weed Identification assistance please!

"Larry" ld @ nospam.com wrote in message
Hi:

My lawn is being attacked by a specific weed. It is right next to an area
that we had wildfloweres several years ago. I took a picture with my
digital camera and the weed can be seen at the following link

ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p1.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p2.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p3.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated as to what it is and how to rid the lawn of

it.

Larry

Don't know what your weed is, but it looks much like a water plant I have
in my fresh-water aquarium which is called foxtail.

Shepherd

Cereoid-UR12yo 13-06-2003 04:08 AM

Weed Identification assistance please!

Where in the heck does Larry live? In the Okefenokee swamp?

I agree the leafy stem looks more like that of a Myriophyllum, an aquatic
swamp plant, than it does like Yarrow (Achillea).

If that's in his lawn, he is watering it way too much.

Is he putting us on and pulled the branch out of his fish tank?

Pat Kiewicz 13-06-2003 12:08 PM

Larry said:

Hi:

My lawn is being attacked by a specific weed. It is right next to an area
that we had wildfloweres several years ago. I took a picture with my
digital camera and the weed can be seen at the following link

ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p1.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p2.jpg
ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p3.jpg

The leaf looks a bit wilty. Possibly tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) or even more
likely, yarrow (Achillea millefolium), often included in wildflower mixes.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/w...d/42/42.5.html

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Judy and Dave G 13-06-2003 03:08 PM

"BiG_Orange" @ wrote in message ...

http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p1.jpg
http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p2.jpg
http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p3.jpg

Definitely looks like golden *-----*. It is an herb. I planted it about 8
years ago, just one plant. It has taken over one bed. And it grows in the
gravel on the driveway.

I am sorry I am having a brain freeze. Can't for the life of me remember
the name. Maybe chamomile? or marguerite? It will pop into my brain at
any time. I will post the name when it does.

Sorry.

Judy

Larry 13-06-2003 04:20 PM

Weed Identification assistance please!

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
.. .
Where in the heck does Larry live? In the Okefenokee swamp?

LOL! No. Northern Indiana.

If that's in his lawn, he is watering it way too much.

I don't water my lawn. We've had a little more than normal rainfall this
spring but nothing
dramatic.

Is he putting us on and pulled the branch out of his fish tank?

No fish tanks here.

Larry

Larry 13-06-2003 04:32 PM

Weed Identification assistance please!

Thanks for all the analysis. Here are three more.
The first two shows it from a distance to give you a feel of the spread.
The wildflowers were planted on the porch side of the brick divider. That
was YEARS
ago. This year, these "weedy thingies" are taking over. p6.jpg is as clear
as I can get and still give you an idea on how it looks.

http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p4.jpg
http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p5.jpg
http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p6.jpg

Larry

Alexander Pensky 13-06-2003 04:56 PM

Larry wrote:
Thanks for all the analysis. Here are three more.
The first two shows it from a distance to give you a feel of the spread.
The wildflowers were planted on the porch side of the brick divider. That
was YEARS
ago. This year, these "weedy thingies" are taking over. p6.jpg is as clear
as I can get and still give you an idea on how it looks.

http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p4.jpg
http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p5.jpg
http://ljd5120.home.mchsi.com/p6.jpg

Larry

That is yarrow (Achillea) for sure.

Larry 13-06-2003 05:08 PM

"Alexander Pensky" wrote in message

That is yarrow (Achillea) for sure.

Thanks. I found some weed sites on the net and I stumbled across yarrow and
I was leaning that way. I just "Roundup'd" the area. Nothing like a fresh
start!

Larry

BiG_Orange 14-06-2003 12:20 AM

Weed Identification assistance please!

We have those weeds here in TN too, they look like ferns and get real big.