GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   POND TO POOL (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/31735-pond-pool.html)

tuppence 13-06-2003 08:44 AM

POND TO POOL

Hi,
I have found a 6' by 4' concrete pond in my garden. It is 4' deep and
I am keen to make it into a small dipping pool for summer. The only
problem is that it has no drainage! Does anyone know if I can simply
use an external pool pump, or if drainage is absolutely necessary?
HELP!!!

paghat 13-06-2003 04:44 PM

POND TO POOL

In article ,
(tuppence) wrote:

Hi,
I have found a 6' by 4' concrete pond in my garden. It is 4' deep and
I am keen to make it into a small dipping pool for summer. The only
problem is that it has no drainage! Does anyone know if I can simply
use an external pool pump, or if drainage is absolutely necessary?
HELP!!!

One possibility is to have a fountain pump because a fountain keeps water
from stagnating, then when it's time to clean the pool, reroute the
fountain's pump into a sprinkler hose & water the garden.

The depth of the pool suggests someone once grew waterlilies.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

Stephen M. Henning 13-06-2003 07:56 PM

POND TO POOL

(paghat) wrote:

The depth of the pool suggests someone once grew waterlilies.

We have an old field-stone swimming pool that is 15'x45'. It is now
full of frogs, etc. so we planted water lilies in it. It is about 3'
deep at the shallow end, 5' deep in the center and 8' deep in the deep
end. We planted the water lilies in pots placed upon cement blocks in
the shallow end. Now the entire pool is coved with water lilies. They
don't care how deep the water is. Obviously the roots are just floating
loose in the water.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to

http://www.users.fast.net/~shenning/rhody.html