Old 13-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Jessica

Default growing catnip indoors

Has anyone ever had any success in growing catnip indoors? I would prefer to
put it outside, but my 4 kitties (and the neighborhood strays) would surely
crush the plant. Any advice is greatly appreciatiated. Thanks.

-Jessica

Old 13-06-2003, 09:44 PM
thoranw

We buy a 2" pot at the garden center every year, repot it in a 12" pot and
place it on our front porch in a bird cage about 2 1/2 feet tall. The
neighborhood cats can't eat it and it grows like crazy. The one plant will
supply our two cats with fresh nip all summer- and it dries into tasty
winter treat as well.

Sonya

Old 14-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:30:09 -0700, Jessica wrote:
Has anyone ever had any success in growing catnip indoors? I would prefer to
put it outside, but my 4 kitties (and the neighborhood strays) would surely
crush the plant. Any advice is greatly appreciatiated. Thanks.

You probably don't have enough light inside for it. Try growing it from
seed outdoors -- they'll leave it alone till it's bruised.

There's an old saying, "If you sow it, the cats won't know it; if you
set* it, the cats will get it." Seems to hold true.

(*transplant)

Kay

Old 16-06-2003, 05:04 PM
Joelle

Try growing it from
seed outdoors -- they'll leave it alone till it's bruised.

There's an old saying, "If you sow it, the cats won't know it; if you
set* it, the cats will get it." Seems to hold true.

The opposite proved true for me. I could not grow catnip from seed, as soon as
it had a few leaves, the cats would eat it. Instead I bought a big plant in
the fall and I guess they didn't notice it till the next spring and by then it
was plenty big enough for them to enjoy it but too big for them to destroy.

Joelle
If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow
Father Mike
Old 16-06-2003, 10:32 PM
LeeAnne

A girlfriend of mine lives in a condo (bottom floor) and was having trouble
w/the cats in her complex destroying her catnip last year. This year she
simply put the 'nip in a hanging potted plant that she has dangling from the
balcony above her patio and so far, so good.

LeeAnne
"Jessica" wrote in message
Has anyone ever had any success in growing catnip indoors? I would prefer

put it outside, but my 4 kitties (and the neighborhood strays) would

surely
crush the plant. Any advice is greatly appreciatiated. Thanks.

-Jessica

[IMG] code is On

Catnip! Jeßus Australia 2 25-09-2003 08:22 AM
trouble with catnip five of four Plant Science 5 17-09-2003 04:53 AM
Catnip John DeBoo Edible Gardening 9 09-08-2003 09:02 PM
Catnip Alternative Janice United Kingdom 7 23-06-2003 09:20 AM
Introducing "CATNIP AND KEROSENE GRASS" Evar Grieg Gardening 0 04-03-2003 02:27 AM