Old 13-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Ted Byers

Default Are lilies unusually late this year (Southern Ontario)?

I am a bit frustrated with my garden. It looks like a couple of my irises
are doing well, with each "patch" more than doubled in size, and about ten
times as many blooms. However, while my lilies gave a terrific display last
year, and they appear to be growing well, there is still no sign even of
flower buds. Are lilies late in southern ontario this year or are they just
going to disappoint me this year for some reason?

The other irritant I am seeing this year is that some damned tree rat has
been eating a number of plants. It has eaten almost have of the alliums I
put in, and while there is one, the only one in the patch that has been
decimated that hasn't been eaten, that it insists on partially uprooting.
The plant isn't dead yet, and it actually has a nice bloom on it, but a few
hours after each time I replant it, it is on its side again. And I had put
a number of cypripedium orchids that are winter hardy here, and the damned
thing ate the most expensive one of these too.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 14-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Paul E. Lehmann

"Ted Byers" wrote in message
[...]

One of those high powered mail order sling shots make no noise. I use
marbles instead of rocks. I have wrapped the trunk of my peach and plum
tree in aluminum foil and so far have not seen any tree rats in them any
more but in case I do, I am ready. The power of these sling shots impresses
me. I would hate to be shot at by one of them.

Old 17-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Ted Byers

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in message

One of those high powered mail order sling shots make no noise. I use
marbles instead of rocks. I have wrapped the trunk of my peach and plum
tree in aluminum foil and so far have not seen any tree rats in them any
more but in case I do, I am ready. The power of these sling shots

impresses
me. I would hate to be shot at by one of them.

But I have trouble with my hands, as a consequence of a diabetes related
neuropathy. I doubt I could use a sling shot effectively. However, my
brother-in-law suggested traps, which he says can be quite effective baited
with peanut butter. I saw in another thread a suggestion to use a layer of
river rock around the plants. As I have some, I think I'll give that a try
until my brother-in-law can bring some traps around.

Cheers,

Ted

Old 17-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Ted Byers

"Ted Byers" wrote in message
I am a bit frustrated with my garden. It looks like a couple of my irises
are doing well, with each "patch" more than doubled in size, and about ten
times as many blooms. However, while my lilies gave a terrific display

last
year, and they appear to be growing well, there is still no sign even of
flower buds. Are lilies late in southern ontario this year or are they

just
going to disappoint me this year for some reason?

Yup. Most things are late this year though much of eastern Canada at least.
I heard on the news a report saying that spring food is so scarce in the
woods that bears are starting to become a nuisance, moving into urban areas
(likely referring to small towns, and certainly not places downtown Toronto
looking for food. Anyway, there are now signs of small flower buds
forming on the largest of my lilies, so I may get a decent display sometime
in July.

Cheers,

Ted