Old 14-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Chloe

Default Bamboo: Practical Barrier? Environmentally Irresponsible?

I'm in Zone 5 and am wondering about planting bamboo to form a natural
barrier of 10 to 12 feet in length on one side of my property. The location
is already shaded and has heavy clay soil. Will bamboo grow there, and how
much do I need to plant in order to have a thick, visually screening stand
of it? Is its reputation as an invasive plant something to be concerned
about in these circumstances? Will I likely have to hack it back on a very
frequent basis in order to keep it confined to a specific area? Any
experiences you all are willing to share will be appreciated.

Old 15-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Beecrofter

"Chloe" wrote in message ...
I'm in Zone 5 and am wondering about planting bamboo to form a natural
barrier of 10 to 12 feet in length on one side of my property. The location
is already shaded and has heavy clay soil. Will bamboo grow there, and how
much do I need to plant in order to have a thick, visually screening stand
of it? Is its reputation as an invasive plant something to be concerned
about in these circumstances? Will I likely have to hack it back on a very
frequent basis in order to keep it confined to a specific area? Any
experiences you all are willing to share will be appreciated.

In zone 5 the spread is slower and you will see years where the above
ground growth is winter killed.
A barrier down 30 inches below and 3 inches above the soil will
contain it.
Shade? is there enough light for turfgrass? if so bamboo will grow.

Check out newsgroup rec.gardens.bamboo
Old 16-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Chloe wrote:

I'm in Zone 5 and am wondering about planting bamboo to form a natural
barrier of 10 to 12 feet in length on one side of my property. The location
is already shaded and has heavy clay soil. Will bamboo grow there, and how
much do I need to plant in order to have a thick, visually screening stand
of it? Is its reputation as an invasive plant something to be concerned
about in these circumstances?

I've seen some television shows which planted non-invasive varieties of bamboo
as a screening element. I don't know what the varieties were, or if they would
do well in your zone, but it's something to investigate.