Old 15-06-2003, 04:32 AM
GardeningGuy

Default hand pollinating question....

I recently purchased a small paint brush to try and hand pollinate my
vegetables. I finally got bell peppers to grow this way. The flowers
were drying up and falling off the plant before I tried this. I've done
this to the muskmelon and cucumbers. Can I hand pollinate tomatoes? I
noticed on the flower that I cannot see the pistil or stamen. A yellow
cone protrudes from all the centers of the flowers on the tomato plants
(I suspect that the pistil and stamen may be inside). Does this mean I
cannot hand pollinate them?

GardeningGuy

Old 15-06-2003, 05:08 AM
B & J

"GardeningGuy" wrote in message
I recently purchased a small paint brush to try and hand pollinate my
vegetables. I finally got bell peppers to grow this way. The flowers
were drying up and falling off the plant before I tried this. I've done
this to the muskmelon and cucumbers. Can I hand pollinate tomatoes? I
noticed on the flower that I cannot see the pistil or stamen. A yellow
cone protrudes from all the centers of the flowers on the tomato plants
(I suspect that the pistil and stamen may be inside). Does this mean I
cannot hand pollinate them?

GardeningGuy

Tomatoes are self-pollinating. If you have them in an area with no breeze,
give them a shaking. That's all they need to set fruit. Usually this is only
necessary when growing tomatoes in an enclosed area such as a greenhouse.

John

Old 15-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Mike Lyle

"B & J" wrote in message ...
"GardeningGuy" wrote in message
I recently purchased a small paint brush to try and hand pollinate my
vegetables. I finally got bell peppers to grow this way. The flowers
were drying up and falling off the plant before I tried this. I've done
this to the muskmelon and cucumbers. Can I hand pollinate tomatoes? I
noticed on the flower that I cannot see the pistil or stamen. A yellow
cone protrudes from all the centers of the flowers on the tomato plants
(I suspect that the pistil and stamen may be inside). Does this mean I
cannot hand pollinate them?

GardeningGuy

Tomatoes are self-pollinating. If you have them in an area with no breeze,
give them a shaking. That's all they need to set fruit. Usually this is only
necessary when growing tomatoes in an enclosed area such as a greenhouse.

John

Going over them with a fine spray of water helps, too, when conditions are dry.

Mike.
Old 15-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Beecrofter

GardeningGuy wrote in message ...
I recently purchased a small paint brush to try and hand pollinate my
vegetables. I finally got bell peppers to grow this way. The flowers
were drying up and falling off the plant before I tried this. I've done
this to the muskmelon and cucumbers. Can I hand pollinate tomatoes? I
noticed on the flower that I cannot see the pistil or stamen. A yellow
cone protrudes from all the centers of the flowers on the tomato plants
(I suspect that the pistil and stamen may be inside). Does this mean I
cannot hand pollinate them?

GardeningGuy

Don't bother with a brush, take a blossom and go from flower to flower
using it as the brush.
As for tomato they can be wind pollinated , insect pollinated or
pollinated by any tool that buzzes like a hair clipper or sander to
rattle the pollen loose.

[IMG] code is On

Teens and Abortion; Hand in Hand?: Is It the Answer? Michael Calwell Ponds 12 20-05-2005 02:00 AM
Pollinating phalaenopsis Dada Orchids 0 21-03-2004 04:44 PM
Pollinating phalaenopsis Dustin Orchids 6 21-03-2004 03:00 PM
Pollinating a Lemon Tree Kirkyboy Edible Gardening 2 10-08-2003 08:22 AM
Pollinating Reed-Stem Epidendrums (Small Flowers). Larry Dighera Orchids 12 12-05-2003 05:44 PM