Old 15-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Roger Ramjet

Default Soil Type Question

Hi,
Just got back soil sample results from local extension office. Please
explain what is ment by
my soil type which they classfied on one sample as "Sandy Loam" and another
sample from another part of my property as "Loamy Sand".

Old 15-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "Roger
Ramjet" wrote:

Hi,
Just got back soil sample results from local extension office. Please
explain what is ment by
my soil type which they classfied on one sample as "Sandy Loam" and another
sample from another part of my property as "Loamy Sand".

Phone your extension agent and ask him/her to explain it. The difference between
sandy loam and loamy sand is probably percentages of dirt to sand. Ask.
That's what
they're there for. (The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Don't
be embarassed
to ask.)

I'm in the enviable position of having exceptional extension agents. Our
cattle guy even
knows which end of a cow to feed and which end to clean up after. *woo
hoo* (That
hasn't always been the case...) And my ag guy recommended Tumbler tomatoes for
hanging baskets. We bought one. It's a *great* windowsill 'mater variety!

Jan, in Alaska
Old 15-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Roger Ramjet said:

Hi,
Just got back soil sample results from local extension office. Please
explain what is ment by
my soil type which they classfied on one sample as "Sandy Loam" and another
sample from another part of my property as "Loamy Sand".

(worst) sand - loamy sand - sandy loam (best you've got)

Sandy loam would contain more more silt/clay/OM than loamy sand, which has
more than sand.

Sandy loam will still be a lean, 'hungry' soil which dries out quicky and leaches
nutrients readily. On the upside, it is very forgiving of being worked in any state
and doesn't compact easily.

How you deal with it depends on what your aim is. If you plan to grow vegetables,
you'll need to add nutrients and organic matter and be ready to mulch and water
(sometimes a lot). IIf you are planning flower gardens, it's best to choose plants
that can thrive in lean, well-draining soils.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)