Old 15-06-2003, 07:56 PM
David J Bockman

Default USDA Hardiness Zone for Zip 99516

That's just outside Anchorage, AK.... any help appreciated.

Dave

Old 15-06-2003, 08:08 PM
John McGaw

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
That's just outside Anchorage, AK.... any help appreciated.

Dave

When I lived there I found that the microclimate on the south side of my
house just off the Glenn Highway across from Elmendorf AFB allowed me to
grow oriental lillies, normally zone 5 or higher, with no problem at all.
Otherwise zone 4 seemed to be a good match for the climate there. At least I
never lost anything from the cold that I could identify as such (of course
that didn't stop moose from killing off a few plants).
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Old 15-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Jan Flora

In article , "John McGaw"
wrote:

"David J Bockman" wrote in message
That's just outside Anchorage, AK.... any help appreciated.

Dave

When I lived there I found that the microclimate on the south side of my
house just off the Glenn Highway across from Elmendorf AFB allowed me to
grow oriental lillies, normally zone 5 or higher, with no problem at all.
Otherwise zone 4 seemed to be a good match for the climate there. At least I
never lost anything from the cold that I could identify as such (of course
that didn't stop moose from killing off a few plants).

Yep, Anchorage and most of the Kenai Peninsula is generally zone 4. But as John
mentioned, you can work the microclimates in your yard to good advantage.

The Alaska Cooperative Extension Service has loads of information on flower
and veggie gardening on their website available for free in .pdf format.
(Adobe Acrobat.) Do a web search for "alaska ces" and it'll come up.

You have some teriffic nurseries up in Anchorage. Ask them for advice. They'll
be glad to help you find the plants, bushes and trees that'll work in your yard.
(PS: You can grow apple trees in Anchorage. If you want to try it, I'll dig up
the phone number for the Rare Fruit Explorer's chapter up there for you.)

Jan in Homer, 99603
Old 15-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Warren

http://www.arborday.org/trees/whatzone.html

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.

Old 16-06-2003, 12:08 AM
David J Bockman

I couldn't believe it when Zone 5 came up for this area! I'm helping my
brother with landscape design issues and wanted to make certain there wasn't
a mistake. Thanks everyone,

Dave

"Warren" wrote in message
.net...

Old 16-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Jan Flora

Those big, generic zone maps are wildly inaccurate in Alaska. The
easiest way to find out your zone is to ask a neighbor who has a killer
garden what zone they use as a guideline.

Homer is Zone 4, because they're at sea level. My house is at 1350'
elevation, so I'm Zone 3, but my local nursery owner says I can get
away with some Zone 4 stuff by working the microclimates on the place,
and she's right -- we do. (We have apple trees growing in a protected
little pocket that gets good sunlight.)

A couple of really pretty plants that thrive up here are Columbine and
Poppies. They're prolific self-seeders and moose don't bother with more
than one bite. They're both perennials.

Jan

In article , "David J Bockman"
wrote:

I couldn't believe it when Zone 5 came up for this area! I'm helping my
brother with landscape design issues and wanted to make certain there wasn't
a mistake. Thanks everyone,

Dave

"Warren" wrote in message
.net...

Old 16-06-2003, 04:04 PM
gregpresley

I have to say that the most glorious healthy giant delphiniums I ever saw
were in Alaska - both in Fairbanks, which is probably zone 2 or lower, and
in Anchorage. 5-8 feet tall, every shade of blue, purple, pink, and
white....breathtaking. Something not well known is that one of the ancestors
of the hybrid giant delphiniums is native to Siberia, so it makes
sense.......

wrote:

I couldn't believe it when Zone 5 came up for this area! I'm helping my
brother with landscape design issues and wanted to make certain there

wasn't
a mistake. Thanks everyone,

Dave

"Warren" wrote in message
.net...

Old 18-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Jan Flora

Fairbanks is Zone 1, with 24 hours of daylight on summer solstice
(this coming saturday, and I'm not going to make it to the Goldpanner's
baseball game at midnight, darn it).

I think we can grow such amazing flowers and veggies up here because
of the long daylight. I didn't know that delphiniums were native to Siberia.
That's an interesting bit of trivia -- thanks : )

In the last week, the grass in my yard has grown 3 feet. (Literally.) The
pushki (cow parsnip) is approaching 4' tall and it was barely showing a
week ago. Once the soil warms up and the daylight gets long, things grow
all in a hurry up here. Daylight's burning and winter is coming.

Jan, Zone 3

wrote:

I couldn't believe it when Zone 5 came up for this area! I'm helping my
brother with landscape design issues and wanted to make certain there

wasn't
a mistake. Thanks everyone,

Dave

"Warren" wrote in message