GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID the "weed" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/32711-id-weed.html)

DigitalVinyl 18-06-2003 01:20 AM

ID the "weed"

I've got a plant in with my sage--which I mistook for sage at first.
Now I wonder what it is. Doesn't match any of the weeds I've been
pulling. I'm waiting for some cumin to sprout nearby--which I think
did. I have a little grassy seedlings--which it might be.

I couldn't get a picture of it, but the true leaves have two less
common characteristics. I drew a crude picture of it. (gotta go buy a
digital camera!)

http://members.aol.com/digitalvinyl66/amongsage.gif

It is an oval(ovate) leaf of fairly uniform width and so far smooth
edges (largest leaves 1.5" long). It has three major veins radiating
out from the stem and the tip has a tiny "dimple" instead of a point.

Thanks.
DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Adam Schwartz 18-06-2003 01:32 PM

ID the "weed"

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
I've got a plant in with my sage--which I mistook for sage at first.
Now I wonder what it is. Doesn't match any of the weeds I've been
pulling. I'm waiting for some cumin to sprout nearby--which I think
did. I have a little grassy seedlings--which it might be.

Does it have a thick fleshy stem and a long root? Could it be a sunflower?
I've been pulling hundreds of these (the couple renting the apartment above
mine have a bird feefer).

-Adam

DigitalVinyl 18-06-2003 04:08 PM

ID the "weed"

"Adam Schwartz" wrote:

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .
I've got a plant in with my sage--which I mistook for sage at first.
Now I wonder what it is. Doesn't match any of the weeds I've been
pulling. I'm waiting for some cumin to sprout nearby--which I think
did. I have a little grassy seedlings--which it might be.

Does it have a thick fleshy stem and a long root? Could it be a sunflower?
I've been pulling hundreds of these (the couple renting the apartment above
mine have a bird feefer).

-Adam

That's what I thought it was at first. I actually have dwarf seedlings
in nearby pots. But the leaves of the sunflowers I'm growing have
differences. ALthough you just made me think. There are a lot of birds
overhead. If someone is feeding them they could easily drop seeds into
this box. Hadn't thought of that before!

I was going to let it keep growing unless i found it was some invasive
weed--just to see what it is-- so i haven't pull it up yet.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)