GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   flower id (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/32770-flower-id.html)

paul simpson 18-06-2003 07:08 AM

flower id

need some help on identifying this plant.
tia.
http://home.earthlink.net/~paul12321/images/

karen 18-06-2003 11:44 AM

flower id

That's not a weed! It's a beautiful Passion Flower! I just planted one this
year and I'm in LOVE!!!
thlink.net...

Adam Schwartz 18-06-2003 01:32 PM

flower id

"paul simpson" wrote in message
thlink.net...
need some help on identifying this plant.
tia.
http://home.earthlink.net/~paul12321/images/

That's definately a passion flower.
-Adam

antonious 18-06-2003 10:32 PM

flower id

Yep! Passion flower! keep it! keep it! keep it!... And not only does it
flower like mad whilst climbing, its fruit can be very very tasty!

Penny Morgan 18-06-2003 11:32 PM

flower id

It looks like a Purple Passion Flower.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

griffon 19-06-2003 07:32 PM

flower id

Probably Passiflora incarnata (maypop) the only passion vine native to
North America and I think the only truly cold hardy one although that
is likely to be wrong.

Dies back to the ground each year and comes back out the following
spring. There are hundreds of varieties but most die at 30-50 degrees
F.

They are extremely common here in northwest Arkansas and although I
like them somewhat now, I used to hate them since they always came up
on my fence and as a child I had to remove them on a constant basis.
Since becoming a gardener and someone who appreciates native grasses
and flowers which I once hated, I still have trouble liking this plant
as well as I should, because of the hours I spent in the past trying
to remove it from fenceline surrounding five acres of property,
including several fences cutting across the property and surrounding
vegetable gardens and the proper back yards of the two homes situated
on that property. Anyway.