Old 18-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Shelly

Default Choosing trees

Hi, I hope you can help me, but if I'm in the wrong newsgroup, please
forgive me. My family and I live on almost 2 acres in an older neighborhood
in a small Southern Oregon city. Recently building started on the acreage
abutting ours - a three storey, 96 unit apartment of low income housing!
Now I'm not about to say that low-income people can't live near me,
especially since my husband and I are closer to low-income than we are to
middle-income. But I am uncomfortable with the fact that many of those
apartments will be looking directly into my windows.

So we've decided to plant trees on the border between our property and the
new neighbors. We're leaning toward decidious trees, something attractive,
with seasonal changes. We may want more privacy, but we want it to be a
beautiful change. I just don't know what to plant.

We're hoping for fast growing trees, not especially expensive. The site has
good drainage, but also has a good water source in the form of an irrigation
ditch that flows between our lot and the lot under construction. There are
no power lines to consider, although there is a metal sewer line that is
buried underground within 10 feet of where the trees will be planted. We
are not considering planting the entire 330 ft border with the same tree,
we'd like several kinds to add more interest.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,
Shelly

Old 18-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "Shelly" wrote:

[...]

Plant lombardy poplars. They grow like weeds and they'll block the view,
while some slower growing trees grow just inside of that row.

Lombardy's are cheap and that water ditch will make them grow fast.

Deciduous will let your new neighbors look into your house all winter. Do you
want that?

I'm low-income, but I'll be damned if I want to look into anyone's house or have
anyone looking into mine. Just because we're poor doesn't mean we don't want
some dignity, for Pete's Sakes! The folks who move into that complex will be
used to trading their dignity for public assistance. It would be cool of you to
give a little bit of that back to them, in the form of privacy and a sound
buffer.

Jan
Old 18-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:14:22 -0700, "Shelly" wrote:

[...]

If you can dig up some close to a wooded area they will most likely be
native trees--strong and climatized. Dig large holes, dump in some
peat moss, and water water water. Deciduous trees won't offer privacy
during the winter months.

Old 18-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Chelsea Christenson

Phisherman wrote:

If you can dig up some close to a wooded area they will most likely be
native trees--strong and climatized.

My dad did that in Texas and we wound up with a yard full of cottonwoods. They
were the biggest trees in the neighborhood and offered lots of shade, but the
roots did a serious number on the foundation and got into the pipes. They're
gone, now, but they did a lot of damage first.

Don't plant anything that you wouldn't buy.

Old 18-06-2003, 11:32 PM
antonious

"Shelly" wrote in message ...
[...]

Penty of ideas! ... red maples (Acer rubrum) will do well, with wonderful
fall colors and many varieties to choose from,
each with a slightly different 'coloring' times ..
Careful selection of varieties will give you a continious show from late
august to mid october.
They are quick growers and many get to heights of 40-50 feet with 30 to 50
foot crowns.
Common and inexpensive.
Might maybe possibly invade the sewer line.

Northern red oak "Quercus Rubrum". fast grower, pretty danged big when full
grown (60ft tall w/ 60 ft spread)
Not invasive of water/sewer lines. Might be difficult to find and/or
expensive

Linden trees (Tilia americana OR Tila Cordata) are another nice choice.
Can grow to be well over 80 ft tall (take THAT oh intruding housing
project!)
Heavily scented blooms in spring. Transplants well Yellow fall foliage

OOH! Bald Cypress (Taxodium distchum) should do wonderfully for you in
Oregon! Likes wet conditions (drainage ditch and Oregon wetness!) a pretty
pyramidal shape, gorgeous bark and has decidious needles that turn an
interesting shade of brown before dropping. (They also make a kicking
mulch!) They usually reach 70 ft tall with a 30 ft spread.

Don't leave out your native Mahona, either...

And best use an evergreen to screen the veiws into your back porch, patio,
deck area from the apartment dwellers. everything else can be as deciduous
as you wish

Old 20-06-2003, 08:32 AM
gregpresley

I'm in Washington state - hello neighbor.
There are some native trees that would be hardy and healthy in your
location- well, actually southern oregon ranges from rainforest to desert,
so I'm not sure exactly where you are, but I'm sort of assuming
Ashland/Medford area or else Klamath Falls.
Anyway, you could consider the Oregon big leaf maple, the Oregon Garry
Oak, native species of alder, native dogwood, etc. The advantage of any of
these would be minimal maintenaince after they are established (one year of
irrigation, then they'd be on their own). Non-natives that grow well in
Oregon are things like Catalpa (pretty flowers in July, HUGE heart-shaped
leaves), linden, black locust (although this suckers profusely), several
varieties of oak and maple. You could mix in a few evergreen flowering
trees - the native madrone, evergreen magnolia, a tall variety of English
holly - to give you some privacy during winter months.
Good luck.
"

Old 20-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Pam

Jan Flora wrote:

In article , "Shelly" wrote:

[...]

Lombardy poplars are seldom recommended for urban settings - the grow too fast and
too big, are weak-limbed and prone to wind damage and sucker rampantly. Few
reputable local garden centers even offer them for sale.

Columnar European hornbeams (Carpinus betulus 'Fastigiata' or 'Franz Fontaine')
make an excellent privacy screen. They are moderately fast growing, relatively
inexpensive, will reach a size compatible with most city gardens and have a very
dense, upswept branch system which provides very effective screening properties even
when the tree is out of leaf. Very tidy, crisp green foliage in season, followed by
a golden fall color. Additionally, they offer a rather narrow profile which makes
underplanting or filler planting in front of the trees simple. Other narrow columnar
trees could work also, but few will offer the same winter screening potential of the
hornbeams, unless they are evergreen.

pam - gardengal