Old 31-01-2003, 12:54 AM
Fleemo

Default Pansies In Distress

I planted some nice healthy pansies a few weeks back, and they looked
great for a little while. But now, all the flowers look diseased.
I've clipped off all the flowers to start anew, but as they bloom,
they all look mangy, with brown rotten-looking, almost moldy edges.
I've posted a photo at http://www.inhouzemusic.com/pansy.html.

What's causing this, and is there any way to treat the plants without
digging them all up, discarding them, and starting over?

Thanks!

Old 31-01-2003, 03:46 AM
zhanataya

On 30 Jan 2003 15:54:57 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

I planted some nice healthy pansies a few weeks back, and they looked
great for a little while. But now, all the flowers look diseased.
I've clipped off all the flowers to start anew, but as they bloom,
they all look mangy, with brown rotten-looking, almost moldy edges.
I've posted a photo at
http://www.inhouzemusic.com/pansy.html.

What's causing this, and is there any way to treat the plants without
digging them all up, discarding them, and starting over?

Thanks!

Pansys are susceptible to midge infestations. I've haven't had a
midge problem with mine so I'm not sure what it looks like. You might
do a search on Google and see if it is a match. Also how cold has it
gotten where they are planted?

zhan
Old 31-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Penny Morgan

The plants themselves look healthy (the leaves in particular). The only
thing I can think of by looking at the picture you posted is that the plants
may be too wet or they may have a fungal disease.

What I mean by too wet is that water sits on the flower heads for prolonged
periods maybe in a shaded spot. It seems weird though that all of them are
turning out that way. It usually happens to select ones. Pansies do best
in a well drained soil in full sun. They are very particular about water
sitting on them and will rot easily. Sometimes the plants will also develop
root rot where they break off easily at the stem entering the ground.

The fungal disease sounds more like what you have. Sometimes is comes from
unsanitary conditions from the original grower. Pansies are prone to a
fungal disease that vinca flower is prone to also. That's why we warn
customers not to plant pansies in the same spot as vinca flowers were
previously planted unless a fungicide is applied prior to planting the
pansies.

I am by no means an expert, but if they were mine I would check into the
things I've listed. You may want to spray them with a fungicide meant for
pansies (check the label) and see if that turns them around or check the
overhead watering situation.

Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
om...

Old 31-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Fleemo

Pansys are susceptible to midge infestations. I've haven't had a
midge problem with mine so I'm not sure what it looks like. You might
do a search on Google and see if it is a match. Also how cold has it
gotten where they are planted?

To assist in the diagnosis, I posted a new closeup of an infected
pansy on the site at http://www.inhouzemusic.com/panzy.html.

It's not a case of overwatering, as the only moisture they get is the
occasional rainfall, which hasn't been much lately. And I could be
wrong, but I don't think it's an insect infestation. And it's
actually been a relatively warm winter here in Northern California,
with temperatures hovering in the 40's and 50's.

Looking through my books, I'd guess that it's Gray Mold, and that I'd
need a fungicide to battle it. I have Safer Garden Fungicide, which
controls Powdery Mildew, Black Spot, and Rust. Might this stuff work
on Gray Mold as well? I've also heard a diluted mixture of plain ol'
milk serves as an effective fungicide as well. Any suggestions?

Old 01-02-2003, 01:49 AM
Fleemo

"Penny Morgan" wrote in message om...
[...]

Thanks for your input, Penny.

The pansies are planted in the ground, in full sun. They don't get
much water, but it's possible, due to their location out front by the
sidewalk, that they get urniated on by passing dogs.

I too believe it's a fungal thing, and will try Safer's Garden
Fungicide on them. The label doesn't specifically list pansies, but
it does list flowers, foliage plants and ornamentals.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:36 AM
zhanataya

On 31 Jan 2003 13:46:57 -0800, (Fleemo) wrote:

[...]

If the Safers doesn't give you the desired results try Impede. It has
always performed well for me. There is a section on the labels that
lists plants to NOT use the product on. If pansies aren't listed
there you should be good to go.

A long time ago farmers used to mix finely ground sulphur, hydrated
lime and use dried milk for a spreader. They'd mix this with water
for spraying. Hadn't heard of diluted milk used as a fungicide. Is
it supposed to work well? On my orchids I use cinnamon. That works
great. Don't know if it would have a detrimental effect on the
pansies though.

Good Luck
zhan