GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Worm killing young tomato plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/32802-worm-killing-young-tomato-plants.html)

MEL 18-06-2003 03:44 PM

Worm killing young tomato plants

I live in Northern California. This year for the first time, shortly after
transplanting tomato plants they began to wilt. I pulled them up and found
a reddish colored worm inside the main stem. What are these and how do I
control them?

animaux 18-06-2003 09:20 PM

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:37:24 -0700, "MEL" wrote:

I live in Northern California. This year for the first time, shortly after
transplanting tomato plants they began to wilt. I pulled them up and found
a reddish colored worm inside the main stem. What are these and how do I
control them?

Could be army worms:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/armyworm.html

Or wire worms:

http://cropwatch.unl.edu/photos/insectpho.htm

Pat Kiewicz 19-06-2003 11:08 AM

MEL said:

I live in Northern California. This year for the first time, shortly after
transplanting tomato plants they began to wilt. I pulled them up and found
a reddish colored worm inside the main stem. What are these and how do I
control them?

Could be European corn borers. Not much you can do once they are inside
the plant stems.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)