Old 31-01-2003, 03:09 AM
Kathy

Default Garden fence help

We just had a new wood slat fence installed to replace the one blown down in
a wind because it was eaten up with termites and wood worms. How can we keep
this beautiful new fence looking nice? Is there anything that will keep the
termites and wood worms from infesting these new boards?

Thanks In Advance, Kathy

Old 31-01-2003, 05:44 AM
Warren

Kathy wrote:
We just had a new wood slat fence installed to replace the one blown

down in
a wind because it was eaten up with termites and wood worms. How can

we keep
this beautiful new fence looking nice? Is there anything that will

keep the
termites and wood worms from infesting these new boards?

Number 1 is don't let the wood touch the ground. The fence itself should
be a couple of inches off the ground, and the support posts should be
encased in concrete. (Don't cover this concrete with dirt, either.) If
the wood comes in contact with the soil, you've provided a nice path for
the termites to enter. (This is the same reason a wood frame house
should be sitting on a concrete foundation , and the wood doesn't touch
the ground.)

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.