Old 19-06-2003, 07:44 PM
griffon

Default concrete blocks...any creative ideas?

I have a big stack of concrete blocks here (the type with two holes in
them) that are both a collection place for wasp nests and an eyesore.
I have tried to figure out some way to use them in the gardens, but
have yet to come up with anything. I would love to find a use for
them to get rid of the stack. Any ideas?
Old 19-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Philip Edward Lewis

griffon writes:
I have a big stack of concrete blocks here (the type with two holes in

[...]
I would love to find a use for them to get rid of the stack. Any ideas?

I've used them to buil a small retaining wall... having each course
overlab the one below it by .5, which leaves nice little planting
pockets everwhere...

--
be safe.
flip

Old 19-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Salty Thumb

griffon wrote in
:

I have a big stack of concrete blocks here (the type with two holes in
them) that are both a collection place for wasp nests and an eyesore.
I have tried to figure out some way to use them in the gardens, but
have yet to come up with anything. I would love to find a use for
them to get rid of the stack. Any ideas?

depending on how many you have ... stick a couple of pipes or rails in the
holes, fill with concrete and make yourself some cheap trellises.

-- Salty

Old 19-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Does Not Play Well With Others

griffon wrote:
I have a big stack of concrete blocks here (the type with two holes in
them) that are both a collection place for wasp nests and an eyesore.
I have tried to figure out some way to use them in the gardens, but
have yet to come up with anything. I would love to find a use for
them to get rid of the stack. Any ideas?

Apparently you missed a good opportunity. A fellow named Scott Peterson
was looking to buy a bunch of concrete blocks about six months ago.

Old 19-06-2003, 10:56 PM

I used em to make a raised bed, then stacked boulders in front of them to cover em
up. Ingrid

griffon wrote:

I have a big stack of concrete blocks here (the type with two holes in
them) that are both a collection place for wasp nests and an eyesore.
I have tried to figure out some way to use them in the gardens, but
have yet to come up with anything. I would love to find a use for
them to get rid of the stack. Any ideas?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 19-06-2003, 11:20 PM
~consul

Does Not Play Well With Others wrote:
griffon wrote:
I have a big stack of concrete blocks here (the type with two holes in
them) that are both a collection place for wasp nests and an eyesore.
I have tried to figure out some way to use them in the gardens, but
have yet to come up with anything. I would love to find a use for
them to get rid of the stack. Any ideas?

Apparently you missed a good opportunity. A fellow named Scott Peterson
was looking to buy a bunch of concrete blocks about six months ago.

You say in jest, but maybe you should find out who that other guy on rec.gardens who was
looking for stepping stones. If he's within driving distance, you've got yourself a deal
in the making,
--
.... if I could hold her with me once again ... I would tell her that I miss her ... I
still miss Kyla ...

Old 20-06-2003, 01:08 AM
Josephine Russo

why not arrange them either in a cascading fashion or place them
around each other with beautiful pots of blossoming flowers or
ornamental grasses complementing each other. This would make an
interesting area in your garden.

Old 20-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Dwayne

Use them as the foundation of a green house. Fill them with sand as your
wall gets higher, and keep the heat inside.

Dwayne

Old 20-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

griffon wrote:

I have a big stack of concrete blocks here (the type with two holes in
them) that are both a collection place for wasp nests and an eyesore.
I have tried to figure out some way to use them in the gardens, but
have yet to come up with anything. I would love to find a use for
them to get rid of the stack. Any ideas?

Compost bin. Very slow to bleed off heat.

Old 20-06-2003, 01:56 PM
animaux

You can lay them out in a pattern and plant wooly thyme or some other low
growing, drought and heat resistant plant. Stack them to make a bed and plant
trailing plants in the raised bed you made from three blocks high...lots of
things. You can cover the face of the blocks using hypertufa
http://www.efildoog-nz.com/hypertufa.htm or another site
http://www.nettally.com/skinnerd/ombrage.html

Old 20-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Pam

griffon wrote:

I have a big stack of concrete blocks here (the type with two holes in
them) that are both a collection place for wasp nests and an eyesore.
I have tried to figure out some way to use them in the gardens, but
have yet to come up with anything. I would love to find a use for
them to get rid of the stack. Any ideas?

Build a free standing wall to divide a portion of your garden in to
another "room", or as a solid edge to a patio or seating area.You could
then stucco the wall and paint with a vibrant color to create a focal
point and provide a dramatic backdrop for some colorful plantings.

pam - gardengal