GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   J Deere Lawn Tractor Questions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/33102-j-deere-lawn-tractor-questions.html)

Pete 20-06-2003 01:08 AM

J Deere Lawn Tractor Questions

I just bought the L100 John Deere Lawn Tractor and the manual isn't the best
(IMHO).
Can anyone here explain what the PTO lever does exactly? The manual talks
about engaging it and disengaging it without really explaining what it is.

Same for the RIO button.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance

Ron 20-06-2003 01:08 PM

J Deere Lawn Tractor Questions

The PTO lever engages the mower blades.
BTW, here's a forum you might enjoy reading, now that you have your L100 JD:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/tractor/

rOn

Spud Demon 20-06-2003 07:20 PM

"Pete" writes in article dated Thu, 19 Jun 2003 23:59:27 GMT:
I just bought the L100 John Deere Lawn Tractor and the manual isn't the best
(IMHO).
Can anyone here explain what the PTO lever does exactly? The manual talks
about engaging it and disengaging it without really explaining what it is.

PTO = power take-off, for running external accessories using power from the
tractor's engine.

Same for the RIO button.

No idea.

--Thundermaker$yahoo.com (Spud Demon)
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Elizabeth 22-06-2003 03:32 PM

J Deere Lawn Tractor Questions

The PTO lever engages the mower blades. The RIO allows you to put the
tractor in reverse while still keeping the blades engaged. Press and hold
the button when you put the machine in reverse gear if you want to continue
cutting in reverse.

elizabeth

Pete 22-06-2003 05:20 PM

J Deere Lawn Tractor Questions

Thanks for the responses.
One more question...
Assuming I don't want to mow in reverse (and just want to back-up!), can I
just disengage the PTO lever without pressing the RIO button?
Pete