Old 20-06-2003, 10:44 PM
fgriff1

Default Newbie Question-MT Laurels

Hello,
I have Mt. Laurels growing in the woods on my property(Hudson Valley
NY),and I would like more. How and when would I go about harvesting
seeds and planting them? where are the seeds? Should they be planted
in partial sun?

Thanks
Frank G
Old 21-06-2003, 12:56 AM
David J Bockman

Kalmia are almost impossible to raise by seed-- the vast majority (like ALL)
commercial growers propagate via tissue culture. According to Dirr, one
should check Lloyd and McCown, "Commercially-feasible micropropagation of
mountain-laurel, KALMIA LATIFOLIA, by use of shoot-tip culture," PROC.
INTL. PLANT PROP. SOC. 30:421--427 (1980). Dirr's REFERENCE MANUAL OF
WOODY PLANT PROPAGATION would also be good.

Dave

om...

Old 21-06-2003, 04:44 AM
CpRensCoNY

It is sometimes possible to obtain new plants by the layering method. Seed, if
germinated, does not come true to the color of the parent plant. Some of
native Kalmia are a washed out pink or dirty white. Depending on where you are
placing the Kalmia, you are 100% certain with a tissue cultured plant. Small
liners can be purchased and grown along if a large number are wanted.
Old 21-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Other Brother Kevin

fgriff1 wrote:

Hello,
I have Mt. Laurels growing in the woods on my property(Hudson Valley
NY),and I would like more. How and when would I go about harvesting
seeds and planting them? where are the seeds? Should they be planted
in partial sun?

Thanks
Frank G

Stake the middle of low branches to the ground with U shaped wire and
cover with good soil/peat. Next year you'll have a root system that will
support a new plant. Cut it BEFORE the new roots and plant were you want
it. The roots my form sooner, but I don't like to try to overwinter a
new plant like that.

Kevin

Z-5

--
¨

Old 22-06-2003, 04:20 AM
mbillian

It might be worth your while to obtain a copy of 'The Laurel book II" by
Richard Jaynes; renowned authority on Laurels. He discusses many subjects
relating to Laurels including propagation (growing seedlings, rooting,
grafting and micro-propagation).
Mitch

Old 23-06-2003, 04:32 PM
fgriff1

Thanks everyone for your ideas and suggestions. Looks like the books
are were to start.

Frank

Old 24-06-2003, 02:20 AM
GrampysGurl

WOODY PLANT PROPAGATION would also be good.

Dave

I assume they grow slowly? How long before it got to say 4 foot tall?