Old 21-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Fleemo

Default Harvest Garlic Early?

The garlic that I planted last fall has grown tall, and is just now
starting to brown and a few plants have even toppled over. I'm
anxious to harvest them so I can replace them with an early variety of
corn before it gets too late in the season. Are the garlic bulbs
likely to get much larger in the next three weeks or so, or are they
pretty much done with their growing and are close enough to being done
to harvest?

Thanks.
Old 21-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Dwayne

Cant tell you what to do, but when 50 percent of onions are brown and have
fallen over, I bend them all over and leave then another 10 days before
digging. I would imagine that if you are satisfied with the size of your
garlic, you could harvest it when ever you are ready.

Dwayne

om...

Old 22-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Dwayne

I was told that bending them over breaks them and the energy for the next
ten days goes in making larger onions. I didn't measure before or after
doing it, so I cant make a promise it works, but I have had very nice onions
since I learned that.

Dwayne

om...

"Dwayne" wrote in message

Cant tell you what to do, but when 50 percent of onions are brown and

have
fallen over, I bend them all over and leave then another 10 days before
digging. I would imagine that if you are satisfied with the size of

your
garlic, you could harvest it when ever you are ready.

Dwayne

om...

Old 22-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Frank Miles

In article ,
Fleemo wrote:
The garlic that I planted last fall has grown tall, and is just now
starting to brown and a few plants have even toppled over. I'm
anxious to harvest them so I can replace them with an early variety of
corn before it gets too late in the season. Are the garlic bulbs
likely to get much larger in the next three weeks or so, or are they
pretty much done with their growing and are close enough to being done
to harvest?

Three weeks -- possibly some size loss if harvested early. Depending
on weather, you may also have to exert a little more care in drying.

Ron Engeland, in his excellent book "Growing Great Garlic", says:

"Immature garlic lacks character and flavor, although average
consumers will never notice the subtle difference. Overmature
bulbs won't store very long before serious deterioration begins."

As another person has suggested, you may be able to interplant.

HTH --
-frank