Old 24-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Mpb58

Default Help- deer and hostas

Help, the deer mucned my 2 huge hostas plants down to the ground. They aslo
ate my annuals.
Old 24-06-2003, 04:20 AM
Kevin Miller

Move

Old 24-06-2003, 04:20 PM

the green coated more open wire, laying down around the beds works well too and sorta
blends. My mothers gardens are now swamped with the filthy tick infested things and
I am suggesting she companion plant some digitalis!! and with daffodils which are
poisonous. they whacked em to the ground. fortunately, they will come back.
that blood meal really works for the tree rats!! Ingrid

(dstvns) wrote:
I've
got some very nice hostas, and they flower every year, mixed with the
tulips...but they are surrounded by chicken wire which deer wont go
near, since they could get their hoof stuck and break a leg.

Bone meal and blood meal spread around the yard will also help keep
deer on edge in your yard.

Dan

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Dave Fouchey

A 12 Gauge Slug does wonders..

On 24 Jun 2003 00:46:05 GMT, (Mpb58) wrote:

Help, the deer mucned my 2 huge hostas plants down to the ground. They aslo
ate my annuals.

Dave Fouchey, WA4EMR
http://photos.yahoo.com/davefouchey
Southeastern Lower Michigan
42° 35' 20'' N,
82° 58' 37'' W
GMT Offset: -5
Time Zone: Eastern
Old 25-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Mpb58

thanks for the tips
Old 26-06-2003, 01:32 PM

Do as I have, deer meat in the freezer.

The darn deer ate two very nice 5' shrubs.

Moving is not an option here.

Old 07-07-2003, 02:40 AM
JMooreTS

Help, the deer mucned my 2 huge hostas plants down to the ground.

After much experience with various deer proofing remedies, the best that I've
come up with (short of a deer-proof fence) are sprinklers with motion
detectors.

Several places sell them. (Lee Valley Gardens has the best prices - mail
order). They are just impulse sprinklers which are activated for three second
bursts when something comes into the motion detectors range (about 120 degree
angle and 45 or so feet). You can set the sensitivity and range.

There are only two downsides:

1) they are a little pricy . . . $55 - $70 apiece and you will probably need
two or three to get full coverage in a yard/garden. They can be hooked in a
series.

2) You will inevitably forget that they're there and will get doused when you
go out into the yard.

But . . . they work. They're not 100% effective. You still get visitors who
will take a chomp. But they don't stay. It's a lot better than losing your
ornamentals and veggies every year to the rats with antlers.

Good luck,

John
Old 07-07-2003, 03:20 PM
DavesVideo

John said:

After much experience with various deer proofing remedies, the best that I've

come up with (short of a deer-proof fence) are sprinklers with motion
detectors.

1) they are a little pricy . . . $55 - $70 apiece and you will probably need
two or three to get full coverage in a yard/garden. They can be hooked in a
series.

2) You will inevitably forget that they're there and will get doused when you
go out into the yard.
Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave
Old 07-07-2003, 03:44 PM
DavesVideo

After much experience with various deer proofing remedies, the best that I've
come up with (short of a deer-proof fence) are sprinklers with motion
detectors.

1) they are a little pricy . . . $55 - $70 apiece and you will probably need

two or three

That's why I advocate an electric fence as the best solution. My set up cost me
about $100 and works really well at excluding the buggers. And when ever I want
to expand the area enclosed, all I need is to add another section of wire.

Deer and Hostas mkr5000 Gardening 17 27-02-2011 03:11 PM
hostas, hydrangea, and update on sweet butter lettuce rachael simpson Gardening 19 08-07-2007 01:42 PM
Box elder bugs and hostas Lynn Gardening 1 12-06-2004 03:02 PM
Planting Hostas bthache Gardening 6 07-06-2003 04:21 AM
hostas ann Gardening 3 19-03-2003 01:32 AM