Old 31-01-2003, 04:35 AM
John Doe

Default Houseplant problems...

My plants seem to have this fungus growing on the top of the soil. It
appears as a white powder in splotches around the soil. Here are pictures
to better explain:

http://joe.flintaero.com/gallery/fungus-among-us

I am also having problems with gnats, that I think hatched in the soil, and
are now flying all around the apartment. I have tried spraying soapy water
on the top of the soil, but no luck. Anyone know what caused these or how
to get rid of them?

Thanks!

Old 31-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Cereoid+10

You not only have a fungus but fungus gnats too!!!

Use a real insecticide and a fungicide.

Typically it is caused by using a soil mix that is not sterile.

Old 31-01-2003, 11:58 AM
SugarChile

A fungus of any type usually indicates that you are overwatering, or not
allowing the surface of the soil to dry a bit between waterings. If it were
me, I would scrape off and remove the top inch or so of soil and replace it
with some fresh, good quality potting soil. Add some extra perlite in the
replacement soil. Then don't water so much.

The gnats are called fungus gnats, and are indicative again of keeping the
soil too soggy. If you let the soil dry between waterings it disrupts their
life cycle and takes care of the problem.

Good luck,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 31-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Iris Cohen

My plants seem to have this fungus growing on the top of the soil. It
appears as a white powder in splotches around the soil.

White powder on top of the soil is more likely to be excess salts. Either way,
it is a sign of poor drainage. You need a more open soil mix.

I am also having problems with gnats, that I think hatched in the soil, and
are now flying all around the apartment.

Same cause, soggy, poorly drained soil.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"The trouble with people is not that they don't know but that they know so much
that ain't so."
Josh Billings (Henry Wheeler Shaw), 1818-1885

Old 31-01-2003, 02:13 PM
animaux

Try mulching the container as it appears the roots are somewhat exposed. If you
have fungus gnats, use a product called Gnatrol. Do a search for Gardens Alive
online and they sell it.

victoria

Old 31-01-2003, 07:55 PM
John Doe

Hey, if I have a question, why not post it in other groups? They are
relevant questions for the newsgroups I posted them in.

However it appears that you crossposted your message as well.

Old 31-01-2003, 07:59 PM
John Doe

I searched for Gnatrol and its quite expensive. I've also been told about
Mosquito Dunks. Have you ever heard of them or if they will work for this
problem?

Old 31-01-2003, 08:01 PM
John Doe

I probably was over watering. I will try to wait for the top of the soil to
dry before my next watering. My apartment gets quite warm, so I figured I
should water more. Thanks for your help.

nk.net...

Old 31-01-2003, 09:51 PM
zhanataya

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 12:01:41 -0800, "John Doe"
wrote:

I probably was over watering. I will try to wait for the top of the soil to
dry before my next watering. My apartment gets quite warm, so I figured I
should water more. Thanks for your help.

The roots are mostly at the bottom of the pot. It would be better if
you waited until the bottom is dry or close to it. The roots need
oxygen also. How long can you hold your head under water. ;-)

zhan
Old 31-01-2003, 10:47 PM
animaux

Mosquito dunks are Bt-i. Gnatrol is Bt-i-H-14 which is host specific. One pint
of Gnatrol has a shelf life of two years and you don't need that much. It is
about 20 dollars, but it's the one I'd buy over the dunks.

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:59:46 -0800, "John Doe"
wrote:

I searched for Gnatrol and its quite expensive. I've also been told about
Mosquito Dunks. Have you ever heard of them or if they will work for this
problem?

.. .

Old 03-02-2003, 03:28 AM
CWilde

I've had house plants for years, and this year is my first for the fungus
gnats. I avoid chemical controls if I can. By letting my plants dry out more
than normal - I've got rid of the gnats. I used "Miracle-gro" potting soil
for the first time. It seems to retain water more than other potting soils.

Carlotta

Old 03-02-2003, 04:07 PM
simy1

"CWilde" wrote in message ...
I've had house plants for years, and this year is my first for the fungus
gnats. I avoid chemical controls if I can. By letting my plants dry out more
than normal - I've got rid of the gnats. I used "Miracle-gro" potting soil
for the first time. It seems to retain water more than other potting soils.

Carlotta

My experience (in the very dry air of my home) is that there is more
water loss from the surface of the pot than from the leaves, at least
in winter (in summer the plants are outside). And I prefer that the
water be lost because it helps with air humidity, but if you want to
strongly reduce water loss from the soil all you need is some mulch in
the pot, wood chips or leaves. Some of the pots that are mulched only
take water every 6 weeks or so.
Old 23-02-2003, 01:39 AM
rusty

Hey, I agree with you, just seems that cereoid@prodigy just loves to strap
on the high heels an turn the flame thrower up to scroched earth....
Hmmm... maybe that is the way to get good serile soil.

But seriously, have you tried to treat for Spider Mites, and the such.

BTW, cereoid, not all new readers show all groups. You hit me before like I
am a stupid idiot.... but sorry love, I am not

John Doe wrote in message
My plants seem to have this fungus growing on the top of the soil. It
appears as a white powder in splotches around the soil. Here are

pictures
to better explain:

http://joe.flintaero.com/gallery/fungus-among-us

I am also having problems with gnats, that I think hatched in the

soil,
and
are now flying all around the apartment. I have tried spraying soapy

water
on the top of the soil, but no luck. Anyone know what caused these or

how
to get rid of them?

Thanks!

[IMG] code is On

houseplant problems star333 Gardening 0 25-10-2005 02:26 PM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
Houseplant problems... John Doe Plant Biology 9 23-04-2003 02:33 PM
Houseplant problems... mmcpherson0563 Plant Biology 2 23-02-2003 04:03 AM
How water ivy houseplant ~ rob ~ United Kingdom 1 07-12-2002 06:56 PM