GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   rosa rugosa (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/33846-rosa-rugosa.html)

Nelson Kirsch 24-06-2003 12:56 PM

rosa rugosa

Greetings,

I have three VERY healthy rugosa shrub roses which I see now in
retrospect were planted too closely together. Can anyone tell me how
well these guys tolerate being moved? They are each approximately four
feet tall and three feet wide. If moving them isn't a possibility can
they be pruned down a bit and still bloom again during the growing
season. We are in Zone 5

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Regards,
Marti K

animaux 24-06-2003 02:08 PM

Rosa Rugosa

Greetings,

I have three VERY healthy rugosa shrub roses which I see now in
retrospect were planted too closely together. Can anyone tell me how
well these guys tolerate being moved? They are each approximately four
feet tall and three feet wide. If moving them isn't a possibility can
they be pruned down a bit and still bloom again during the growing
season. We are in Zone 5

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Regards,
Marti K

Well, I had this little problem wth thrips the last few years and I hacked the
thing down to one foot tall. I fed it, made cuts on a diagonal so the water
run down and off the cuts and it is coming back wonderfully. Still probably
have thrips! I haven't ween it bud yet.

The optimal time to do a major prune of roses is late winter, but you can do it
now as long as you leave enough to photosynthesize. Cut out all dead branches
at the base and all waterspouts (plant parts which are growing up toward the
center and give the rosa rugosa a really good fertilizer (NO NO NO MiracleGro
please) and mulch. Do not cover the crown when planting and try to wait till
fall to move it. If not, you chance losing it. Roses have very poor root
systems. They greatly benefit from use of mycorrhizae (I always spell that
wrong).

Alan Sung 25-06-2003 03:20 AM

rosa rugosa

"Nelson Kirsch" wrote in message
Greetings,

I have three VERY healthy rugosa shrub roses which I see now in
retrospect were planted too closely together. Can anyone tell me how
well these guys tolerate being moved? They are each approximately four
feet tall and three feet wide. If moving them isn't a possibility can
they be pruned down a bit and still bloom again during the growing
season. We are in Zone 5

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Regards,
Marti K

Rosa rugosa is pretty tough. You can almost move them anytime. You might
sacrifice some blooms this year, but it will recover. It also spreads
underground. Be careful though because rosa rugosa is a favorite of Japanese
beetles.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 6a)

rosemarie face 25-06-2003 07:56 AM

rosa rugosa

Yes , you can move them . My rugosa got to big too (7ft) My husband cut
it down to about 1 ft 2 months ago and it's blooming now . make sure to
water it well thru the season! Tough plant. Hope this helps !
Rosie z5

[email protected] 25-06-2003 09:32 AM

rosa rugosa

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 01:34:35 -0500 (EST),
(rosemarie face) wrote:

Yes , you can move them . My rugosa got to big too (7ft) My husband cut
it down to about 1 ft 2 months ago and it's blooming now . make sure to
water it well thru the season! Tough plant. Hope this helps !

Got a chuckle out of this one. Rosa rugosa is so tough, that over 10
years after I removed them from an area, they are STILL coming up.

Persephone