Old 24-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Mike Stevenson

Default "Big Mama" Plum Tomato -- Curling Leaves!

Is anyone familiar with this particular type of tomato? I am growing one
along with several others. All are doing well, extremely vigerous, healthy
and developing many flowers already. They recieve plenty of water from all
the recent rains in the area. And I water myself in the early mornings if
the weather stays dry too long (trust me hasn't really been a problem
anywhere on the East Coast this year.)

Problem is the "Big Mama" breed of tomato appears rather wilted, most of the
leaves are curled or "flipped" so the bottoms of the leaves are exposed. The
plant seems healthy enough otherwise. I have had no problems with insects
thus far, and the plant is continuing to grow, though is stunted compared to
the rest. I am growing them on Bamboo stacks.

Any insights?

Old 25-06-2003, 01:32 AM
DigitalVinyl

"Mike Stevenson" wrote:

Is anyone familiar with this particular type of tomato? I am growing one
along with several others. All are doing well, extremely vigerous, healthy
and developing many flowers already. They recieve plenty of water from all
the recent rains in the area. And I water myself in the early mornings if
the weather stays dry too long (trust me hasn't really been a problem
anywhere on the East Coast this year.)

Problem is the "Big Mama" breed of tomato appears rather wilted, most of the
leaves are curled or "flipped" so the bottoms of the leaves are exposed. The
plant seems healthy enough otherwise. I have had no problems with insects
thus far, and the plant is continuing to grow, though is stunted compared to
the rest. I am growing them on Bamboo stacks.

Any insights?

I've got one here and it had the same. I also thought the leaves were
small compared to my others. It has since recovered and the leaves lok
normal and top growth has resumed, even has its first flower. I did
give it some liquid seaweed when it was at its worst.

The difference was how long it stayed in the container from Burpee. I
planted two and then it poured for days. I got my third in the
ground--which also has wilting issues but has since bounced back
vigourously. I hadn't planned to even grow the Big Mama, and offered
it to my neighbor. He didn't plant it for a good week later. I watered
it in its 2" container but clearly it needed more room.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener