Old 25-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Leo Shea

Default Bee Nest in Garage

I was in my garage last night when I picked up a mop and discovered a
bunch of bees underneath the mop on the garage floor! It was pretty
dark in that corner of the garage even with the lights on, but I did
see that they looked fairly large.

After I picked up the mop they made a buzzing noise but didn't leave
the floor immediately. 10-15 seconds later one took off at which
point I ran back into the house. I never noticed them in the garage
before, and I have been in the garage a few times lately (I don't park
in the garage).

Any idea what kind of bees these may be? And how safe would it be to
open the garage door at night, spray them with wasp/hornet spray from
15-20 ft. away, then run? They're against the left wall of the garage
close to the garage door.

Thanks,
Leo

Old 25-06-2003, 01:32 AM

you need to call the extension service and see if somebody will come out and remove
the bees. with so few bees left just killing them is sad.
you may also try one of those long burning mosquito coils ... they dont like smoke.
in fact, you might want to just run your car in there for an hour and see if they
decamp. Ingrid

(Leo Shea) wrote:

I was in my garage last night when I picked up a mop and discovered a
bunch of bees underneath the mop on the garage floor! It was pretty
dark in that corner of the garage even with the lights on, but I did
see that they looked fairly large.

After I picked up the mop they made a buzzing noise but didn't leave
the floor immediately. 10-15 seconds later one took off at which
point I ran back into the house. I never noticed them in the garage
before, and I have been in the garage a few times lately (I don't park
in the garage).

Any idea what kind of bees these may be? And how safe would it be to
open the garage door at night, spray them with wasp/hornet spray from
15-20 ft. away, then run? They're against the left wall of the garage
close to the garage door.

Thanks,
Leo

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 25-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Leo Shea" wrote in message
Any idea what kind of bees these may be? And how safe would it be to
open the garage door at night, spray them with wasp/hornet spray from
15-20 ft. away, then run?

I'm not an exterminator, but that is what I'd do. You have to spray the
nest to get them all.
Ed

Old 25-06-2003, 01:56 AM
Salty Thumb

wrote in
:

you need to call the extension service and see if somebody will come
out and remove the bees. with so few bees left just killing them is

I think you should try this first. At the least they might be able to
get you in touch with an apiarist would might give you more info or take
care of the problem outright.

sad. you may also try one of those long burning mosquito coils ...
they dont like smoke. in fact, you might want to just run your car in
there for an hour and see if they decamp. Ingrid

Hopefully if you try running your car, you'll have the sense to let the
area clear out and bring a charged carbon monoxide detector with you
before re-entering the area.

(Leo Shea) wrote:

I was in my garage last night when I picked up a mop and discovered a
bunch of bees underneath the mop on the garage floor! It was pretty
dark in that corner of the garage even with the lights on, but I did
see that they looked fairly large.

After I picked up the mop they made a buzzing noise but didn't leave
the floor immediately. 10-15 seconds later one took off at which
point I ran back into the house. I never noticed them in the garage
before, and I have been in the garage a few times lately (I don't park
in the garage).

Are you in an area with Africanized Honeybees?

Any idea what kind of bees these may be? And how safe would it be to
open the garage door at night, spray them with wasp/hornet spray from
15-20 ft. away, then run? They're against the left wall of the garage
close to the garage door.

Good luck hitting anything from 15' out. Also look at the label to see
if it works on bees.

- Salty
Old 25-06-2003, 02:32 AM
Joseph Meehan

Likely not honey bees. Too bad. The honey bees are in high demand
(many of them have been wiped out by a mite. We need as many as possible.
In the mean time several other bee like insects have expanded in numbers,
but some are more aggressive and not as good at pollination.

I second the idea of calling and trying to find someone to collect them
in the event they are honey bees. Otherwise a wasp spray should handle it.
Get two cans one fog type and one distance, use both at once. It stops them
cold. BTW the time to get then is pre dawn and post dusk.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

om...

Old 25-06-2003, 03:32 AM
jim

Leo Shea wrote:

I was in my garage last night when I picked up a mop and discovered a
bunch of bees underneath the mop on the garage floor! It was pretty
dark in that corner of the garage even with the lights on, but I did
see that they looked fairly large.

After I picked up the mop they made a buzzing noise but didn't leave
the floor immediately. 10-15 seconds later one took off at which
point I ran back into the house. I never noticed them in the garage
before, and I have been in the garage a few times lately (I don't park
in the garage).

Any idea what kind of bees these may be? And how safe would it be to
open the garage door at night, spray them with wasp/hornet spray from
15-20 ft. away, then run? They're against the left wall of the garage
close to the garage door.

Thanks,
Leo

probably wasp... if so then just get an insect bomb.. the kind you push
the top button down and it stays on... it will kill just about
anything... open the garage door.... set off one or two bombs and close
door... then after work come home and open the garage door and air it
out and there should be no live insects in the garage......
Old 25-06-2003, 03:56 AM
Steve Hollis

Does your garage have a lot of wood rafters?
If the bees look sort of like bumblebees, but with a white face, you could
have some carpenter bees boring in your rafter beams.

Old 25-06-2003, 04:32 AM
John DeBoo

des-weges wrote:

snip
BTW 6.5 oz of Dawn blue in 1 gallon of water will contact kill
cockroaches in all stages!!!

Hmmm, interesting. I use a 3' long strip of duct tape sticky side
up. Works like a champ until you step barefoot on it in the darkG.

Old 25-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Beecrofter

(Leo Shea) wrote in message . com...
I was in my garage last night when I picked up a mop and discovered a
bunch of bees underneath the mop on the garage floor! It was pretty
dark in that corner of the garage even with the lights on, but I did
see that they looked fairly large.

After I picked up the mop they made a buzzing noise but didn't leave
the floor immediately. 10-15 seconds later one took off at which
point I ran back into the house. I never noticed them in the garage
before, and I have been in the garage a few times lately (I don't park
in the garage).

Any idea what kind of bees these may be? And how safe would it be to
open the garage door at night, spray them with wasp/hornet spray from
15-20 ft. away, then run? They're against the left wall of the garage
close to the garage door.

Thanks,
Leo

First time out of the condo unescorted?
A single bee flew up after being disturbed and you are in a panic?
Here is what you most likely have.
Bumblebees who have made their home in the remains of an old mouse
nest behind or under your old mop. Or have just used the mop itself as
conditions were similar to an old mouse nest which these bees prefer.
Now odd as it may sound you might just be able to coexist with them
and benefit from their presence by improved garden and wildflower
pollination.
Walk outside the back of the garage in the daylight and see if they
are coming and going by a crack near the garage wall /floor.
If you want to keep them put a few rags over the mop inside the garage
and allow them to come and go out the wall.
If you insist on destroying them put a half cup of dish detergent in a
bucket of water and pour it over the mop and nest and soak it
thoroughly.
I keep honeybees in an absolutely bee-proof T shirt and flip flops.
Don't go killing anything until you learn a little about it, you might
just want to share some space with it.

Tom

Old 25-06-2003, 04:08 PM

In article ,
"Steve Hollis" wrote:

Does your garage have a lot of wood rafters?
If the bees look sort of like bumblebees, but with a white face, you could
have some carpenter bees boring in your rafter beams.

It can be hard to tell if they're carpenter bees, but if they are,
carpenter bees don't sting.
Old 25-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Ramblinon

clipped

I keep honeybees in an absolutely bee-proof T shirt and flip flops.
Don't go killing anything until you learn a little about it, you might
just want to share some space with it.

Tom

An absolutely radical idea. A lot of folks think anything that crawls is there just to irritate them and ought
to be killed.

I was at an outdoor restaurant the other day, and the place had some kind of flowering shrub that had loads of
honey bees around. The first ones I've seen in years. See bumble bees fairly often, but honey bees are
scarce. Used to hunt frogs when I was a kid, and you could hardly take a step without scaring one up. If we
killed fewer critters with indiscriminate poisoning, there would probably be more natural bug killers around.

Old 25-06-2003, 04:21 PM
Registered User

Location: London

Look like bumblebees to me. Had a nest of them under my old shed which i have now demolished and built a new one over.

I didnt know they were there, but anyhow I had to get rid of them.

Got some newspaper set it alight, waved it about to create smoke and waved it where the bees were. They were all gone by dusk. Unfortunatly the nest was active and alot of eggs had been left behind.
Old 25-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Alexander Pensky

dommy wrote:
Look like bumblebees to me. Had a nest of them under my old shed which i
have now demolished and built a new one over.

I didnt know they were there, but anyhow I had to get rid of them.

I don't think either carpenter bees or bumblebees "nest"...
they are solitary

- Alex

Old 25-06-2003, 07:32 PM
animaux

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:46:47 -0400, Alexander Pensky
wrote:

dommy wrote:
Look like bumblebees to me. Had a nest of them under my old shed which i
have now demolished and built a new one over.

I didnt know they were there, but anyhow I had to get rid of them.

I don't think either carpenter bees or bumblebees "nest"...
they are solitary

- Alex

Bumble bees nest, but in the ground, not above the soil surface. I have a
greatly huge burrow full of them in their proper place by the brush pile! That
brush pile houses skinks, snakes, rats, mice, lizards, anoles, birds, etc.
They balance out, naturally.