Old 25-06-2003, 03:20 AM
Jay Chan

Default What to Do With Three Bags of Peat Moss?

I would like to know what I can do with 3 bags of peat moss.

Last year I bought 3 large bags of peat moss with the hope of
improving the soil in my vegetable garden. But I found that I got more
compost than I can use from my compost piles. I ended up putting all
the compost into the vegetable garden and still got a lot of compost
left (I sprinkled the rest over my lawn). I believe my vegetable
garden really doesn't need any more soil amendment. What I am going to
do with the 3 bags of peat moss?

Should I sprinkle the peat moss over my lawn in this fall when I will
re-seed the lawn?

Can I put it around an evergreen tree and use it like mulch?

Should I mix it with fully composted materials and put the mix into
the vegetable garden with the understanding that there will never be
"too much" soil amendment?

Any other idea?

Thanks.

Jay Chan
Old 25-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Doug Kanter

"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
I would like to know what I can do with 3 bags of peat moss.

Last year I bought 3 large bags of peat moss with the hope of
improving the soil in my vegetable garden.

Drop them off at my house. :-)

Old 25-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Jay Chan

Peat moss is a staple for most potting soil mixes. I use it to ammend
all soils and when planting trees. In your case, I'd use it in the
vegetable garden.

Good. I will mix it into the soil in my vegetable garden alone with compost.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

Old 25-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Phisherman

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:35:52 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:

snip

Doesn't peat moss increase soil acidity? If so, try using it to grow
blueberries, azaleas or acidophilic plants. Or buffer it and use as seed
starter.

It does. Peat moss should not be used around alkaline-loving plants.
For plants preferring a neutral soil, a tablespoon of whiting can be
added to 10 quarts of peat moss.
Old 25-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Marley1372

Peat moss isnt going to cause any drastic change in your soil pH. I would dump
the crap in your compost pile, its not really good for much other than potting
mixes, and its continued use is disrupting huge amounts of natural habitats.

Toad
Old 25-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Doug Kanter

Keep in mind that peat moss is relatively acidic. If you add it continuously
throughout the season, be sure to pick up a test kit and check your soil's
pH level periodically.

om...

Old 26-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Doug Kanter

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote in message

Peat mixed with concrete - hypertufa. Use it to make lightweight fake

stone
planters.

Really? Now THAT is amazing. :-)

Old 26-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Jay Chan

Doesn't peat moss increase soil acidity?

I am worrying about this too. But I am just hoping that the effect is
not that big -- I don't really know.

Or buffer it and use as seed starter.

I am very interested in this idea. What does "buffer it" mean? I am
planning to re-seed my lawn in this fall. I am wondering whether I can
spread it around in my lawn after I have put down grass seeds.

Jay Chan
Old 27-06-2003, 01:08 AM
V_coerulea

I'd like to have your problem. Keeping organic material in our soils is an
extreme challenge in the humid heat of the deep south. I'm with Doug; drop
it off at my house.

om...

Old 28-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Jay Chan

By "buffer" I mean add something (like lime) to help neutralize the acidity
... not too much or it'll end up too alkaline. I also don't really know if
you need to do that or not ... my experience is limited to buying packaged
seed starter mix and seeing 'peat moss' listed as an ingredient. (By seed
starter I meant to grow your own vegetables or flowers from seed in little
trays or pots, not for grass!.)

One year ago, I did a soil test on my yard, and the result is fine. I
have a feeling that spreading out the peat moss over my lawn will not
change the acidity because the lawn space is very large relative to
the three bags of peat moss.

This sounds like a plan to me.

Jay Chan