Old 25-06-2003, 05:08 AM
Millerific

Default Datura (angel trumpet) question...

Hi everybody,

Can anybody help educate me? I want to plant a datura near my front steps, but
my water line is nearby (within a couple of feet). I have tried to find info
online about this plant's root system (is it invasive?), but to no avail. I
certainly don't want to damage my pipes. Can anybody offer advice or suggest a
site? I'm a gardening newbie and don't want to make any mistakes!

Thanks so much,

Ron
Old 25-06-2003, 01:56 PM
animaux

Datura, like most plants in the nightshade family do not have a great root
system. I have 8 varieties of datura, and 10 named brugmansia. Either are
invasive, but datura will definitely spread around from seed. It's easy enough
top pull them up when they germinate.

Take a look at

www.nativehabitat.com and see what they have to say.

Old 27-06-2003, 01:32 AM
V_coerulea

As Tsu Dho Nimh said, invasive refers mostly to getting out of control in
undesired places. Unless your water system is extremely old or you're
talking about a septic tank drainage field, "invasive" does not really apply
to this situation.

Old 27-06-2003, 02:08 PM
animaux

I must pull out about 200 datura plants when spring arrives and the seeds which
spread around germinate. So, in that regard the are invasive. Not invasive as
in spreads by rhizome, but readily reseeds and spreads that way. They pull out
very easily as they don't have great root systems.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:26:34 GMT, "V_coerulea" wrote:

As Tsu Dho Nimh said, invasive refers mostly to getting out of control in
undesired places. Unless your water system is extremely old or you're
talking about a septic tank drainage field, "invasive" does not really apply
to this situation.

"Millerific" wrote in message
Hi everybody,

Can anybody help educate me? I want to plant a datura near my front

steps, but
my water line is nearby (within a couple of feet). I have tried to find

info
online about this plant's root system (is it invasive?), but to no avail.

certainly don't want to damage my pipes. Can anybody offer advice or

suggest a
site? I'm a gardening newbie and don't want to make any mistakes!

Thanks so much,

Ron

[IMG] code is On

Datura - datura.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 09-08-2007 11:36 PM
Bc Angel Lace (C Little Angel X B digbyana 'Laura') V_coerulea Orchid Photos 2 08-12-2006 12:58 AM
Angel's Trumpet-short lived flower? DigitalVinyl Gardening 7 09-08-2003 06:02 AM
Angel Trumpet pixi Gardening 1 30-05-2003 04:09 PM
Angel's Trumpet (Datura/Brugmansia) irvin savage Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM