GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   soil for passiflora (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/34075-soil-passiflora.html)

Theo 25-06-2003 01:32 PM

soil for passiflora

I was just wondering if I could plant a passsiflora in nothing but
perlite or should it be sandy soil. Just wondering. Thank you for
your replies.
-Theo

paghat 25-06-2003 03:32 PM

soil for passiflora

In article ,
(Theo) wrote:

I was just wondering if I could plant a passsiflora in nothing but
perlite or should it be sandy soil. Just wondering. Thank you for
your replies.
-Theo

One recommendation for purple passion flower vine that was hard for me to
believe, but apparently true, was to plant it in crumbled bricks. It
apparently thrives in sterile dry soil. Mine is doing very well in fertile
soil that I avoid ever watering, so I never tested the limits of its
fondness for a sterile medium.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

Theo 25-06-2003 06:08 PM

soil for passiflora

(paghat) wrote in message ...

One recommendation for purple passion flower vine that was hard for me to
believe, but apparently true, was to plant it in crumbled bricks. It
apparently thrives in sterile dry soil. Mine is doing very well in fertile
soil that I avoid ever watering, so I never tested the limits of its
fondness for a sterile medium.

-paghat the ratgirl

I know about the crumbled bricks (I read it on your website). So I
guess it is safe to assume planting it in perlite would be fine.
Thanks.
-Theo

Jim W 26-06-2003 06:56 PM

soil for passiflora

Theo wrote:

I was just wondering if I could plant a passsiflora in nothing but
perlite or should it be sandy soil. Just wondering. Thank you for
your replies.

Why would you grow a passiflora in only perlite? A well drained, open
mixed medium is fine
//
Jim

V_coerulea 27-06-2003 01:44 AM

soil for passiflora

For my own 2 cents, I'd use sandy soil. Here in the sand hills of SC, it
hard to kill the suckers. They have a "tap root" or thickened root that goes
down into subsoil looking for moisture. So I'd say that if you're growning
them artificially, supply that subsoil or change the general soil as to give
them the moisture that all plants need from some source or other. Straight
perlite; I don't think so.

m...