Old 03-03-2003, 05:51 AM
Jenny Rizzo

Default The Leaning African Violet

It seems that these are very sensitive plants. I have one that recently
flowered, but the leaves turned spotty, brown and wilty. (I know not to get
the leaves wet.) I changed the location of the plant, it seems to be doing
better (no more brown leaves). However, I'm concerned about the part of the
stem of the plant where I removed the dying/dead leaves. I added soil to
the top (to try to keep it straight), but it's still leaning. Nearly all of
the leaves had to be removed. Do you think this plant is beyond saving? I
hope not. There are new leaves coming up, but the plant is still leaning.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2003, 06:03 AM
jammer

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 05:43:14 GMT, "Jenny Rizzo"
wrote:

It seems that these are very sensitive plants. I have one that recently
flowered, but the leaves turned spotty, brown and wilty. (I know not to get
the leaves wet.) I changed the location of the plant, it seems to be doing
better (no more brown leaves). However, I'm concerned about the part of the
stem of the plant where I removed the dying/dead leaves. I added soil to
the top (to try to keep it straight), but it's still leaning. Nearly all of
the leaves had to be removed. Do you think this plant is beyond saving? I
hope not. There are new leaves coming up, but the plant is still leaning.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi, when any of my potted plants lean, i turn them around so the sun
pulls them the other way.
·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
jammer
((¸¸.·´ ..·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸

Old 03-03-2003, 02:27 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

It seems that these are very sensitive plants. I have one that recently
flowered, but the leaves turned spotty, brown and wilty. (I know not to get
the leaves wet.) I changed the location of the plant, it seems to be doing
better (no more brown leaves). However, I'm concerned about the part of the
stem of the plant where I removed the dying/dead leaves. I added soil to
the top (to try to keep it straight), but it's still leaning. Nearly all of
the leaves had to be removed. Do you think this plant is beyond saving? I
hope not. There are new leaves coming up, but the plant is still leaning.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

You may need to repot the AF and position it so that it is not
leaning. To grow a symmetrical AF the pot needs a quarter turn every
week.

Removing most of the leaves from a plant will certainly weaken it. It
may need a rest for a month or two from this type of drastic surgery.
Old 05-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Jenny Rizzo

Thank you for the recommendations -
Should I repot in regular potting soil, or is it necessary to get the
special african violet soil?

Old 05-03-2003, 03:51 AM
jammer

I have used both and they pefer the AV potting soil.

Old 05-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Phisherman

wrote:

Thank you for the recommendations -
Should I repot in regular potting soil, or is it necessary to get the
special african violet soil?

Not necessary, but recommended. The African violet soil mix is
specially formulated for these plants, and the pH is right. AFs are
often overpotted, but they seem to prefer a tight pot. Transplanting
these plants is difficult for beginners due to their thickly-matted
root system and tender brittle leaves. I found it easier to line the
insides of a fresh clean pot with soil by pressing it in place with
the fingers--making something like a "dirt nest." You may need to
make 2 or 3 attempts to get the fit just right and your AF will soon
be happily adjusted to its new home.