GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New mulch as litter box (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/34177-new-mulch-litter-box.html)

Jim Szatkowski 25-06-2003 09:08 PM

New mulch as litter box

I recently put down some mulch as a way to control weeds in a portion
of my yard. I haven't really used it before and was quite happy with
the dark hardwood effect.

Well, a couple of days after I put it down, I noticed a batch of it
lumped up, and I thought a squirrel had been digging for hidden
acorns. I got closer and caught a whiff and after poking it around,
found a large turd, probably from one of the vagrant cats in the
neighborhood.

I know I've seen repellant stuff you can put on bird feeders to keep
squirrels out, but is there anything I can use to keep the cats away?
I know, a dog, a 12-guage, etc. But seriously folks.

Jim in Cleveland

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. 25-06-2003 11:20 PM

New mulch as litter box

Jim Szatkowski wrote:

I know I've seen repellant stuff you can put on bird feeders to keep
squirrels out, but is there anything I can use to keep the cats away?
I know, a dog, a 12-guage, etc. But seriously folks.

Plant twigs in the mulch, punji-stick fashion. Cats' feet are
ticklish. They won't like walking over dozens of small, scratchy
sticks.

Surfs Up 26-06-2003 03:32 AM

New mulch as litter box

I saw this done on a pet show. Anchor chicken wire to the ground and cover
with mulch. The cat won't be able to dig or cover.