GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What's eating my hostas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/34231-whats-eating-my-hostas.html)

seepnezorf1 26-06-2003 01:08 AM

What's eating my hostas

I live in Mass...zone 6 and for the past few years we've had about 24 hostas
by a stream. However this year something is doing a number on the leaves
and in some cases eating them right down to the ground. We do have deer
roaming the yard in the winter, but I haven't seen them since early Spring.
What enjoys eating hostas and what can I do to get rid of them?

Mike Prager 26-06-2003 01:20 AM

What's eating my hostas

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:58:27 GMT, "seepnezorf1"
wrote:

I live in Mass...zone 6 and for the past few years we've had about 24 hostas
by a stream. However this year something is doing a number on the leaves
and in some cases eating them right down to the ground. We do have deer
roaming the yard in the winter, but I haven't seen them since early Spring.
What enjoys eating hostas

Deer. slugs. Possibly rabbits.

and what can I do to get rid of them?

Move to the city. Sorry.

Mike Prager
Beaufort, NC (on the coast in zone 8a)
(Remove symbols from email address to reply.)

dstvns 26-06-2003 04:56 AM

What's eating my hostas

wrote:

I live in Mass...zone 6 and for the past few years we've had about 24 hostas
by a stream. However this year something is doing a number on the leaves
and in some cases eating them right down to the ground. We do have deer
roaming the yard in the winter, but I haven't seen them since early Spring.
What enjoys eating hostas and what can I do to get rid of them?

Adolescent deer. The winter killed many, but the ones that lived are
growing fast. They are growing fast on your hostas...and they don't
follow pre-established deer trails...they find their own way, and
usually their own trail of destruction, especially in the summer all
the way to the rut.

Spreading bone meal or blood meal *BEFORE* the trail is established
might stop them, but by now he knows there's food in your area, so
they'll keep coming back. A hunting license or very high fence is
your only hope now.

Dan

Frank Logullo 26-06-2003 01:08 PM

What's eating my hostas

After I was talked into putting some hostas on a bank, I heard a comment on
a PBS gardening show that hostas are "deer hors-d'oeurves". Mine got eaten
back to the point of dying. I seldom see the rats with hooves but they
leave plenty of sign with eaten plants, droppings and prints.
Frank

Vox Humana 26-06-2003 02:32 PM

What's eating my hostas

"seepnezorf1" wrote in message
I live in Mass...zone 6 and for the past few years we've had about 24

hostas
by a stream. However this year something is doing a number on the leaves
and in some cases eating them right down to the ground. We do have deer
roaming the yard in the winter, but I haven't seen them since early

Spring.
What enjoys eating hostas and what can I do to get rid of them?

I seldom see deer, but I see evidence of their presence. The deer in my
area only come close to the house very late at night. I woke up last year
about 2 AM to see one looking in the window! There is a product that you
can spray on your hostas that MIGHT help. It is a bitter tasting liquid in
a latex base. The latex keep it from washing away quickly.
http://www.hybridpoplars.com/thisone.htm I haven't used it, but the
gardening guy on the radio recommends it.

thoranw 26-06-2003 06:44 PM

What's eating my hostas

It could be a groundhog. One year after he had finished with the violets,
he discovered the ambrosia of hostas. He nibbled right down to the ground.
Haven't seen him this year- I think somebody got him! (loud cheering) I'm in
northern mass in a riverside neighborhood- we don't have a deer problem.
Just groundhogs.

Sonya

LeeAnne 27-06-2003 07:20 PM

What's eating my hostas

I feel your pain Sonya, I'm 20 miles north of Boston and that ratty creature
(woodchuck) was my enemy for a few seasons . . . then we got a coyote :-D

LeeAnne
-has flowers this year-

DavesVideo 27-06-2003 09:20 PM

What's eating my hostas

LeeAnne said:

I feel your pain Sonya, I'm 20 miles north of Boston and that ratty creature

(woodchuck) was my enemy for a few seasons . . . then we got a coyote

Where did you get it? Do any garden supply houses carry these natural
solutions?
Actually there are reports of a coyote in my neighborhood, and there are
enough woodchucks to feed a pack of them, but I don't think they travel in
packs.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

LeeAnne 08-07-2003 05:45 PM

What's eating my hostas

I didn't 'get' him/her -- they just showed up. I'm assuming they are still
around since my WC population hasn't come back yet. I wish the garden
supply places carried little coyotes, that would rock! Rear them from pups
and set them free :-D (I can dream, can't I?)

I don't think they travel in packs either - but if you've got one in the
neighborhood hopefully it'll stick around and chow down!

LeeAnne