Old 27-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Mary Jo Lettieri

Default staking leaning tree question

I have a weeping birch tree about 5 feet tall and it is leaning to one side.
Should I stake it on three sides to straighten it, or can I use a support on
one side of the tree only to make it grow straight?

Old 30-06-2003, 03:20 PM
John T. Jarrett

I'd only stake one side so the wind can still blow it around a little.

That's supposed to help strengthen the trunk sooner than if you stake it
firmly into place with two or three stakes which can result in a weak trunk
and takes longer.

My last "staking" was for a tree I had unstaked but then after a month of
storms, it was definately pointing North. I got a plastic fence pole, pushed
the pole in right next to the trunk, and wired it at the top and the middle
(with a piece of old waterhose under the wire). Now the tree tends to stick
up straight but gets the benefit of being blown around in various directions
yet even with 30-60 mph gusts it doesn't blow ALL the way over.

hth,
John
Austin, Tex

et...