GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Partial Deadhead? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/34431-partial-deadhead.html)

[email protected] 27-06-2003 01:56 PM

Partial Deadhead?

I don't mean that I like just some of their music:), I've a question
about deadheading plants.

I'd like my Gaillardias to spread, and I hear that I shouldn't
deadhead a plant if I want it to reseed.

What happens if I just deadhead some of the blooms on a plant, but not
all of them. Will it rebloom, or since some of the faded blooms are
still there, will it just create seeds and not rebloom?

How about If I deadhead all blooms, and the plant reblooms, and then I
don't deadhead the second bloom, will the plant then set seeds? So
even if I deadhead, I should be able to get some seeds. Is that
right, or is the plant spent in reblooming?

Will my Gaillardia rebloom even if I don't deadhead? I've heard that
they bloom all season long.

Swyck

MLEBLANCA 28-06-2003 05:44 PM

Partial Deadhead?

In article ,
writes:

I'd like my Gaillardias to spread, and I hear that I shouldn't
deadhead a plant if I want it to reseed.

What happens if I just deadhead some of the blooms on a plant, but not
all of them. Will it rebloom, or since some of the faded blooms are
still there, will it just create seeds and not rebloom?

This is fine.
One or two seedheads should produce plenty of seed, leave them and
remove the rest.
You might want to tie a thread around the ones you're saving, so in a fit
of deadheading energy, you don't cut them off, too!

How about If I deadhead all blooms, and the plant reblooms, and then I
don't deadhead the second bloom, will the plant then set seeds?

Sure, that's OK too

even if I deadhead, I should be able to get some seeds. Is that
right, or is the plant spent in reblooming?

Gaillardia has so much energy, it seems to just keep on blooming
no matter what you do

Will my Gaillardia rebloom even if I don't deadhead?

Probably. What kind of Gaillardia do you have? The dwarf variety
'Goblin' doesn't seem as robust. I don't grow it.

I've heard that they bloom all season long.

I started seeds of Painter's Palette and they are now huge plants--
-4 feet across and growing! Last year was a mild winter
and they never stopped blooming. Sometimes I just leave the spent flower
heads on for a while, I think they are attractive also.

Swyck

Emilie
NorCal zone 8

theoneflasehaddock 02-07-2003 03:44 AM