Old 28-06-2003, 03:20 PM
FayeC

Default Dividing root balls

I have two plants I would like to either move to another location or divide
it as it is getting too big.....
1 is an Iris and the other is a balloon flower.......they are still in bloom
due to the crazy weather we had this year.
I would like to know if it is possible to move or split them and if so when
would be the appropriate time to do it without hurting next year's
flowering...

Thank you,

FayeC

Old 28-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Vox Humana

"FayeC" wrote in message
. ..
I have two plants I would like to either move to another location or

divide
it as it is getting too big.....
1 is an Iris and the other is a balloon flower.......they are still in

bloom
due to the crazy weather we had this year.
I would like to know if it is possible to move or split them and if so

when
would be the appropriate time to do it without hurting next year's
flowering...

I don't think it is a good idea to move plants while they are in bloom.
Most iris are best divided in late Augest to early September in my area. One
would cut the fans to about 1/3 their size, separate the rhizomes discarding
any old, dry, hollow, or dieased parts and replanting in groups of three or
four fans. They should be planted only an inch or two below the surfce.
Balloon flowers don't like to be divided so I wouldn't bother them unless it
is necessary. If you must divide them, I would wait until spring. You can
do a search on "platycondon" to get more information on your balloon
flowers.

Old 28-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Alexander Pensky

Vox Humana wrote:
[...] You can do a search on "platycondon" to get more
information on your balloon flowers.

Or perhaps "platycodon" with only one "n".
Although Google will catch the spelling error for you.

- Alex

[IMG] code is On

Root Balls Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 6 08-02-2017 09:30 PM
Marimo Balls, Moss Balls, Aegagropila linnaei, Cladophora aegagropila John Smith[_5_] Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 21-09-2008 09:30 PM
Burlap root balls Kurt Gavin Gardening 9 22-05-2006 03:46 PM
Dividing root-balls [email protected] Bonsai 0 06-05-2005 12:04 AM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 02:32 AM