Old 29-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Mike Stevenson

Default what is this plant?

Doesn't he just make ya proud...

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
Your premise is wrong and logic is faulty.

Rhipsalis are stem succulents that have no true leaves at all.

Have you bothered to consider that the person had misidentified your plant
as Rhipsalis teres and that it is actually an etiolated Rhipsalis
cereuscula? Who is this "expert" that identified your plant anyway?

Lynne wrote in message
Ok, I think I got it now. My teres looked just like that when it was
rooting. But I see in the pic that if it were teres, the newer leaves

would
be a little bit longer, and growing at a slightly smaller angle. If I

hadn't
just spent a half an hour comparing photos of the two, I'd never know

the
difference in such a young specimen.

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
. ..
Somebody must have misidentified your plant. It is a poorly grown

Rhipsalis
cereuscula.

Lynne wrote in message
It looks like a plant I have that was identified as Rhipsalis teres.

"Lance R." wrote in message
. com...
large image:
http://www.lkgallery.com/plant1.jpg

Thanks for the help,
Lance

Old 29-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Julie Sloan

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:20:26 -0400, "Lynne"
typed these words:

If it's different than mine, I sure can't tell. I assume my plant's ID is
correct, since I grew it from a little piece that fell off a plant in a
botanical garden (yes, it really fell off). If I can figure out how, I'll
put up a pic in a.b.p.g.
OT, Another thing I'd like to figure out how to do is cancel posts... Using
OE, I highlight the message and go to "Message", and click "Cancel message".
Even though I get a message saying the cancellation's been sent, nothing
ever happens.

The "cancel" comand only works if the post hasn't been downloaded.
Anyone who has downloaded your post before you cancelled it will still
have it.

hth
Julie

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/

Bearskin to Holly Fork: Stories from Appalachia
by Bob Sloan ISBN: 1-893239-21-7
Old 29-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Julie Sloan

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:11:54 GMT, animaux typed
these words:

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:08:12 GMT, animaux wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 05:37:39 -0400, Julie Sloan
wrote:

Let me guess. You're a bored 12-year-old.

No, he's not a bored anything. He is a wealth of information bordering on
encyclopedic. But the stock "let me guess. You are a bored 12-year old) is a
typical as thy come

Now go get your shine box.

I suspect he'd gain more respect/friends/feedback by brushing up on
his "people skills" instead of showing off this "wealth of
information," but maybe he's one of those sad souls who think any
attention is better than no attention at all.

The "bored 12-y-o" guess results from his "UR12yo" ID, in case you
missed that obvious inference.

USENET abounds with belligerent twits who take out their little
frustrations on everyone else. But what do I care. You're just
pixels on my monitor. You're not real at all.

Old 29-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Pride comes before a fall, Saddam.

Your logic is completely lacking.

Old 29-06-2003, 08:44 PM
Lance R.

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
news
It is best to grow your Rhipsalis as one would a "Christmas Cactus" or any
other epiphytic cactus.

Give it plenty of light but not direct sun light, grow in a humasy soil
mix,
allow the soil to go dry between waterings, do not let the plant sit in
standing water, fertilize with a houseplant fertilizer at 1/4 strength.

What in the heck is a "Cigar Plant" supposed to be? Does it have anything

do with Moncia Lewinsky? Don't you just hate those cutesy common names?

Thanks for that. I will follow your instructions and see what happens. I
haven't been able to find much on the net about this particular plant. I
did read your answer to my fiance, who said that her Aunt, whom she got the
plant from, has one which has grown quite large and healthy growing in only
water (no soil).

A "cigar plant" (Cuphea ignea):
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plan...hea_ignea.html

Lance

Old 29-06-2003, 09:20 PM
19:09:05:13

Why are you responding in such an unfriendly manner?
I take it you have a reason for doing so and since we are
to put up with it you might at least tell us *why* you're
so hostile?

"Cereoid-UR12yo" wrote in message
.com...
If you don't know the answer or even have a clue, you shouldn't make badly
lame guesses.

If you are so bad at observing that you cannot tell the difference between

stem succulent and a leaf succulent, your comments only add to the
confusion.

I'm just keeping the rest of you honest and aware of your real

limitations.
If you don't like it, you can just sit there and learn something instead

of
make an ass of yourself.

I already did answer the question, oh sadly unenlightened and oblivious

one.

19:09:05:13 wrote in message
.. .
Well, excuse me for trying.

Are you the loud-mouth of this group or just
your regular **** ant?

And if you would, be so kind as to supply us
with the right answer, oh wise one?

Cereoid-UR12yo wrote in
.. .
WRONG.

You are not even close and you have the wrong plant family altogether.
The plant is a stem succulent not a leaf succulent.

Crassula lycopodioides is a synonym for Crassula muscosa anyway.

19:09:05:13 wrote in message
.. .
Hi there,

This is one of the many members of the species
Crassula, it may be Crassula Lycopodioides or
otherwise it's a very near relative. It requires the
kind of soil that's being sold for growing cacti, it
may have trouble growing in ordinary soil.
It doesn't need much warmth but it does need a
lot of light, especially during the winter!
During the warmer months of the year it requires a
usual amount of water, during winter time watering
once every three weeks is enough.

Lance R. wrote in
.. .

Old 29-06-2003, 11:20 PM
V_coerulea

I've been watching for awhile. You apparently know your succulents better
than your orchids. Your atitude was mild after you left RGO but you've been
getting more and more obnoxious again. Why do you have to make yourself feel
omnipotent and make others feel inferior? If everyone in this group will put
up with your arrogant behavior simply to get some info easily obtainable
elseware, I suppose that's their business. But if you don't want to "duke it
out" again, then tone it down. Gettng respect for your knowledge is a
privilege and an honor. You get no respect for obnoxious, "in-your-face"
attitude.

m...

Old 30-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

You saying nothing at all is by far the best way to go but you probably lack
the self control.

The original question was answered long ago and there is nothing of any
relevance that you can contribute.

Thomas Neumayr wrote in message
. ..
I agree with you, but ignoring the ignorant is probably the best way to

go.

.. .

Old 30-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Lynne

If I set forth any premise, it was that its ID ws probably accurate
because it came from a botanical garden. I study mushrooms, where correct
identification is critical. and I've seen pros misidentify things, if that
tells you how much I trust the ID.
I'm not a plant taxonomist. If you want to argue my specimen's identity,
you might check around here for your next victim:
http://www.olbrich.org

Instead, why don't you just tell us all the right way to differentiate
teres, cereuscula, baccifera etc, from a photograph when they only have a
few sets of stems to go by?

Old 30-06-2003, 02:20 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Julie Sloan" wrote in message
On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 09:32:59 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12yo"
typed these words:

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!

Not even close. The plant is a succulent not an aquatic.

Let me guess. You're a bored 12-year-old.

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/

Bearskin to Holly Fork: Stories from Appalachia
by Bob Sloan ISBN: 1-893239-21-7

No despite the name he isn't. He is a social incompetent who hopes to
buy tolerance of his appalling and unnecessary behaviour with his
knowledge. The really sad thing is that too often in this NG his coin
is taken.

David

Old 30-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12yo

I have never met you rabbit boy and you know absolutely nothing about me
you, hare brain.
If I ever do meet you, I would surely control-alt-delete you.

Why degrade yourself by defending the incompetent? Are you one of them?

u...

Old 30-06-2003, 05:32 PM
Julie Sloan

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:18:53 +1000, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Julie Sloan" wrote in message

Let me guess. You're a bored 12-year-old.

No despite the name he isn't. He is a social incompetent who hopes to
buy tolerance of his appalling and unnecessary behaviour with his
knowledge. The really sad thing is that too often in this NG his coin
is taken.

Hi David,
It looks like he's got a sock-puppet too:

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:31:09 GMT, animaux typed these words:

What did that have to do with rec.gardens? I see. It's okay if the blather
come from you. Typical

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 14:12:08 -0400, Julie Sloan
wrote:

Oh, I thought this was rec.gardening. Now I realize it's
"alt.cereoid-ur12yo.is.group.owner."

Telling someone to get lost on USENET is a waste of typing. Grow the
**** up, already, or have a midol. whichever applies.

Julie

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:54:43 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12yo"
typed these words:

Okay then, take a hike and get lost, if you prefer!!!!!

Old 01-07-2003, 01:20 AM
David Hare-Scott

"Julie Sloan" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:18:53 +1000, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
"Julie Sloan" wrote in message

Let me guess. You're a bored 12-year-old.

No despite the name he isn't. He is a social incompetent who hopes

buy tolerance of his appalling and unnecessary behaviour with his
knowledge. The really sad thing is that too often in this NG his

coin
is taken.

Hi David,
It looks like he's got a sock-puppet too:

And here was I thinking that animaux was a true admirer of The Towering
Intellect. Oooh that such wickedness could be!

David

Old 01-07-2003, 01:20 AM
des-weges

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:32:46 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12yo"
wrote:

you know absolutely nothing about me

and those that do either love or hate, get over it!

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson