Old 29-06-2003, 07:32 PM
jp

Default Damaged Crimson King Maple - Salvage Or Replace?

Hi -

I live in Southern Wisconsin and yesterday we had a storm blow
through. No biggie except for the fact that a good sized limb from
one of my neighbors decaying trees snapped during said storm and came
crashing down on a six year old Crimson King Maple that I have in my
back yard. My neighbor and I extracted the limb immediately but there
was some damage (obviously). The maple is ... well, was, about 15'
tall - now it's like 12' tall. The limb took out the top center
branch or leader branch I believe it's called. So instead of a tree
with something of a pear formation, the center now has kind of a dip
in the middle.

My neighbor has offered to replace the tree but I guess I'd like to
see if it could be salvaged if given some TLC (a proper
trimming/pruning, root feeding, etc). I intend on contacting the
nursery I purchased the tree from to come out and take a look but I
was wondering if the folks in this newsgroup would have any
recommendations or suggestions ..?

Thanks in advance,

jp
Old 29-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Joseph Meehan

I believe that, in time, it will recover its natural shape, but that
might take a while.

Have you and your neighbor looked at the insurance issue? It might be
an interesting issue.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

m...

Old 30-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Garden Envy

"... but I guess I'd like to
see if it could be salvaged if given some TLC (a proper
trimming/pruning, root feeding, etc). I intend on contacting the
nursery I purchased the tree from to come out and take a look ...

Since Acer platanoides does not, at maturity, have a central leader,
your tree will probably make it OK. If it were a tree whose branches
all came off the main trunk, I would start over, or you'd end up with
a big ball on a stick! Not having seen it, however, I would have
someone knowledgeable come and check it out.

Good luck... we had a 'strong wind' (read 'tornado') come through here
earlier this month that snapped a 2.5 foot in diameter pin oak off 5
feet from the ground.

www.garden-envy.com :: free newsletter, tip-sheets, e-courses, & more.
Old 30-06-2003, 06:35 AM
Shelly

"Garden Envy" ...

we had a 'strong wind' (read 'tornado') come through here
earlier this month that snapped a 2.5 foot in diameter pin
oak off 5 feet from the ground.

Are you and your family OK? I assume so, or you wouldn't be here, but
a tornado is such a scary thing... I'm glad the only tornadoes we get
here come at an average of 1.5 per year for the whole state (Oregon),
and really never amount to nothing stronger than a really impressive
dust devil! I mean, they make the news and occasionally damage things
like roofs and cars, but I don't think there has ever been a recent
case of human or animal loss of life from a tornado.

Shelly

Old 01-07-2003, 04:20 AM
Garden Envy

"Shelly" wrote in message ...

Are you and your family OK?

Shelly

Fortunately (I think!) we were in the car when the storm came through.
The rain was coming down so hard (almost 3 inches in 10 minutes!) we
had to pull off the road, so we missed the tornado part that cut
across our road uprooting many LARGE trees and messing up our
neighbors' homes. We were out of power for 3.5 days since a power
pole was snapped off, too. Pretty exciting--the second in as many
years; I hope our neighbors are not thinking we have bad karma, since
we've been here only 15 months!

Garden Envy
www.garden-envy.com :: Where gardening tidbits are everywhere!

Old 01-07-2003, 05:56 AM
dementia13

In article , "Shelly"
wrote:

"Garden Envy" ...

we had a 'strong wind' (read 'tornado') come through here
earlier this month that snapped a 2.5 foot in diameter pin
oak off 5 feet from the ground.

Are you and your family OK? I assume so, or you wouldn't be here, but
a tornado is such a scary thing... I'm glad the only tornadoes we get
here come at an average of 1.5 per year for the whole state (Oregon),
and really never amount to nothing stronger than a really impressive
dust devil! I mean, they make the news and occasionally damage things
like roofs and cars, but I don't think there has ever been a recent
case of human or animal loss of life from a tornado.

Shelly

Ack...I'm in Jackson, TN. Half our downtown got ripped out in early May.
We're very fortunate that my home and family are OK, but it's miraculous
that only a dozen or so people were killed by this thing. It traveled 65
miles with 200 MPH winds, and tore through some heavily populated areas.