GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Storing gasoline/oil mixture question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/34833-storing-gasoline-oil-mixture-question.html)

TOM KAN PA 29-06-2003 10:44 PM

Storing gasoline/oil mixture question

Not the usual question as, how long, how, etc.?
I use the same mixture for my Toro Mower and my Craftsman Line Trimmer. I keep
the mower and the fuel in my back yard shed, and the trimmer in the garage
because I use it 90% of the time in the front of the house. The trimmer holds
less than a pint of fuel and doesn't get, shall we say, good gas mileage.
OK, TOM, CUT TO THE CHASE!
I frequently have empty gallon containers that come with the Torch Fuel I buy
at the world's largest XXX-Mart store.
OK, OK, here's my question!
Can I store some of the fuel mixture in the garage in one of these gallon
containers? Say about two quarts. I'm not interested in the legal aspects, just
wondering if the fuel mixture will "disolve" the container resulting in a leak.
Thanks for you patience in scrolling through my question to get to the point.

Frank Logullo 29-06-2003 10:56 PM

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
I frequently have empty gallon containers that come with the Torch Fuel I

buy
at the world's largest XXX-Mart store.
Can I store some of the fuel mixture in the garage in one of these gallon
containers? Say about two quarts. I'm not interested in the legal aspects,

just
wondering if the fuel mixture will "disolve" the container resulting in a

leak.
Thanks for you patience in scrolling through my question to get to the

point.

If containers are metal, there is no problem. I've used old Coleman lantern
fuel cans. If plastic, may be OK, but I personally would not use.
Anything that can hold gas can stand up to the gas/oil mix.
Frank

Muush 30-06-2003 04:32 AM

"TOM KAN PA" wrote in message
[...]

What's torch fuel? Kerosene? Gasoline is much the same only lighter
molecules (same as butane is even lighter and mineral oil is heavier)
Should be OK. See if you can smell the gas seeping through the plastic. Best
really to get one of those one gallon heavy plastic gas containers with
pouring spout.

Phisherman 30-06-2003 02:44 PM

Storing gasoline/oil mixture question

You should be interested in safety issues. Only store gasoline in
approved containers, preferably away from your house. The gasoline
containers are inexpensive. Label the mix with a perm marker.

Spud Demon 30-06-2003 06:20 PM

c (TOM KAN PA) writes in article dated 29 Jun 2003 21:38:45 GMT:
Can I store some of the fuel mixture in the garage in one of these gallon
containers? Say about two quarts. I'm not interested in the legal aspects, just
wondering if the fuel mixture will "disolve" the container resulting in a leak.

My opinion as an engineer: A polar solvent is a polar solvent, and a
container which will hold one will probably hold the other.

My opinion as a homeowner: The miniscule probability of your
wife/child/friend using your gas/oil mixture in a torch and burning off
their eyebrows outweighs the $5 you will save by not buying a second gas
can.

--Thundermaker$yahoo.com (Spud Demon)
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Spud Demon 30-06-2003 06:20 PM

Storing gasoline/oil mixture question

c (TOM KAN PA) writes in article dated 29 Jun 2003 21:38:45 GMT:
Can I store some of the fuel mixture in the garage in one of these gallon
containers? Say about two quarts. I'm not interested in the legal aspects, just
wondering if the fuel mixture will "disolve" the container resulting in a leak.

My opinion as an engineer: A nonpolar solvent is a nonpolar solvent, and a

jhultman 30-06-2003 06:32 PM

Storing gasoline/oil mixture question

Use a fuel stabilizer product called STABIL mixed appropriately to stop the
breakdown of the gas. Plastic containers are fine IMO for short term storage.
Getting gas for the mower, or helping start a vehicle out of gas. Anything
needing to be stored longer, weeks or months should be in a metal container.
Metal storage containers being better for long term as there is less oxidation.

I'd store the fuel in the shed, away from the house. Not the garage
if you can use the shed.

Jeff

John DeBoo 30-06-2003 07:08 PM

TOM KAN PA wrote:

Can I store some of the fuel mixture in the garage in one of these gallon
containers? Say about two quarts. I'm not interested in the legal aspects, just
wondering if the fuel mixture will "disolve" the container resulting in a leak.
Thanks for you patience in scrolling through my question to get to the point.

I store gasoline for my mower and a mixture for my chainsaw and
weedeater in regular plastic gas containers (also from WalMart) all
the time. Never once had a problem with them.

dementia13 01-07-2003 05:56 AM

Storing gasoline/oil mixture question

In article , jhultman
wrote:

Use a fuel stabilizer product called STABIL mixed appropriately to stop the
breakdown of the gas. Plastic containers are fine IMO for short term
storage.

Many such oils include fuel stabilizer in their mixture.

Allview 01-07-2003 12:56 PM

Storing gasoline/oil mixture question

We had a can of Lawnboy green to touch up a mower we bought second hand. We
got 2 new cans and ran a big stripe of that paint across each can so anybody
would know which can to use for the mower.

Marilyn in Ohio