GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hyacinth Vine/pots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/34858-hyacinth-vine-pots.html)

G. B. Gaal 30-06-2003 01:44 AM

Hyacinth Vine/pots

Hello:

I am trying for the first time to grow hyacinth vine on my New York City
apartment balcony. I have planted one per 5.5" dia/6" high clay pot and
three in a 10" dia/6" high plastic container. They are sprouting nicely,
12"-18" tall, but now I'm wondering if the pots are too small. Can anybody
advise me, should I repot them before they get bigger?

Thank you,
Geraldine

Tyra Trevellyn 30-06-2003 02:32 AM

Hyacinth Vine/pots

From: "G. B. Gaal"
Date: Sun, Jun 29, 2003 8:39 PM
Hello:

I am trying for the first time to grow hyacinth vine on my New York
City
apartment balcony. I have planted one per 5.5" dia/6" high clay pot and
three in a 10" dia/6" high plastic container. They are sprouting nicely,
12"-18" tall, but now I'm wondering if the pots are too small. Can anybody
advise me, should I repot them before they get bigger?

Thank you,
Geraldine

Geraldine:
These get to be humongous plants, no kidding. I'm not sure if the root space
they need will overtake the size of the pots you've got them in (most likely
they will), but the vines themselves may overtake your balcony setup. How
much space have you allowed for them to climb and spread? I had maybe about
four plants in the ground in one area (more in others) last summer, climbing
bean tepees and then more bean tepees, and there were stil lots of heavy
flowering, fruiting vines I had to accommodate on even more cords so the vines
could grab onto poles and lord-knows-what. And yes, repot them (they
transplant easily, in my experience) into larger pots, and think about growing
two, not four. Seriously. (They are wonderful plants, but are monsters when
they get going.)

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7