Old 30-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Lesley

Default Hostas killing birch trees?

Has anyone ever heard of hostas killing birch trees? Two springs ago
I planted about 8 hostas under a Y shaped birch tree. Last fall we
had to cut off one tree of the Y because it was dead. Now the other
half is dead and must go. Have you ever heard of this? Maybe it's
not the hostas. Who knows?
Old 30-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Cereoid-UR12yo

Reposting the question doesn't change a thing.

The Hostas did not kill your tree.

Everybody but you knows.

om...

Old 30-06-2003, 03:08 AM
Iris Cohen

Two springs ago I planted about 8 hostas under a Y shaped birch tree. Last
fall we had to cut off one tree of the Y because it was dead. Now the other
half is dead and must go. BRBR

This had nothing whatever to do with the hostas. You do not say where you live
or how old the trees were. In most parts of the country, birch trees only live
about 15 years or so at best, especially in an unfriendly environment, like a
hot, sunny lawn. Your birch tree probably died of old age, bronze birch borer,
or a fungus disease.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 30-06-2003, 06:44 AM
loki

"Iris Cohen" wrote

This had nothing whatever to do with the hostas. You do not say where you

live
or how old the trees were. In most parts of the country, birch trees only

live
about 15 years or so at best, especially in an unfriendly environment,

like a
hot, sunny lawn.

Interesting. My mother has a clump of birch trees that is 30 years old. I
remember it being planted when I was pregnant with my first child who just
celebrated her 30th birthday.

I doubt these are exceptions. I remember birch that were that old all over
the place.

What sorts die at 15 years?

Loki

Old 30-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"loki" writes:

| Interesting. My mother has a clump of birch trees that is 30 years old. I
| remember it being planted when I was pregnant with my first child who just
| celebrated her 30th birthday.
|
| I doubt these are exceptions. I remember birch that were that old all over
| the place.
|
| What sorts die at 15 years?

Less the species than the conditions. Many birches are trees of
the far north, and live for quite a long time in really miserable
conditions. In southern England, they typically live longer than
30 years, but are not all that long-lived.

So, anything from 15 to 150 years, depending ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:32 AM
CpRensCoNY

Interesting. My mother has a clump of birch trees that is 30 years old. I
remember it being planted when I was pregnant with my first child who just
celebrated her 30th birthday.

I doubt these are exceptions. I remember birch that were that old all over
the place.

What sorts die at 15 years?

Clump Birch die young. They are multiple stemmed grey birch sold as lawn
ornaments. Betula populifolia. The youth and disease comment was pretty
accurate. The comments regarding other birches would need to be directed to
the specific species of birch discussed. All kinds in the US plus many
imported species. Lots of times on this forum missing location of plant and
species or accurate description gives the questioner a wide range answer though
the respondent is trying.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:08 AM
loki

"CpRensCoNY" wrote

Clump Birch die young. They are multiple stemmed grey birch sold as lawn
ornaments. Betula populifolia. The youth and disease comment was pretty
accurate. The comments regarding other birches would need to be directed

the specific species of birch discussed. All kinds in the US plus many
imported species. Lots of times on this forum missing location of plant

and
species or accurate description gives the questioner a wide range answer

though
the respondent is trying.

Interesting. She lives in Southern Illinois which is zone 6b. I don't know
the variety of the birch but do know that it's not what she had asked for
which was clump birch. It looks more like 3 taller birch planted closely
together to look like clump birch. Ah, well. It's nearing it's end
whatever it is. I will take a good look at it next time I am there.

Loki