GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Newbie question moss (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/34950-newbie-question-re-moss.html)

Wendy 30-06-2003 05:20 PM

Newbie question moss

We moved into an old house last summer (New England, zone 6a) and
finally have set about trying to tame the beast that is our yard. Lots
of trees, very little direct sun in the front yard (which is where the
previous owners planted many things which need direct sun - go
figure.). The owners had created about five flowerbeds, one of which
has become completely overrun with moss. Given the shade in this part
of the yard, I'm wondering if it's worth it to dig out the moss and
start over again, or if the moss would eventually creep back. (I know
that some people like gardening with moss, but I'm not one of them -
sorry, I just don't have that same aesthetic sense!)

Above this flowerbed is a gutter which was leaking - until my husband
recently cleaned it out and fixed it. I can't tell how much of the
moss problem was due to the moisture, and how much of it is from the
shade. And it's been a really, really wet spring and summer thus far
(and winter too), and we can't control that. I'm a newbie with
gardening and don't want to bite off more than I can chew with our
yard - I just want to get an idea as to whether to bother re-planting
in this garden bed, and whether I can keep moss from returning.
Thanks!

Garden Envy 01-07-2003 04:08 AM

Newbie question moss

(Wendy) wrote in message . com...
I just want to get an idea as to whether to bother re-planting
in this garden bed, and whether I can keep moss from returning.
Thanks!

Wendy,

Congratulations on the new house! It's always exciting to see what is
going to pop up in a new-to-you garden. As far as the moss goes, you
can get rid of it with a glyphosphate herbicide like Roundup (be
careful, though, as Roundup kills ALL plants!). Moss likes two
environmental conditions: moisture and shade, and it seems like
you've got both, although perhaps the moisture issue has been solved
if the gutters are fixed. The presence of moss also tells you that
your soil is either acidic and/or infertile. To prevent the moss from
returning, cultivate some lime into the soil to raise the pH, add
compost or some other organic amendment to improve fertility, and you
should be good to go!

Happy Housewarming!

Garden Envy
www.garden-envy.com :: online source for gardening support and