Old 01-07-2003, 01:20 AM
Slo guy

Default Artic Kiwi problem Help!

Hi
I bought 2 female and 1 male artic kiwi's last fall and planted them
in a sunny location (2 female are near a trellis and the male is
planted 15 feet away). While all 3 are still alive after the winter
one of the females isn't growing at all, the leaves are not as dark
green as the other 2 plants and the stems are green while the other 2
kiwi's they are red. The other 2 kiwi plants have grown around 3 feet
so far and I don't know if the plant is bad or if there is a another
problem (nitrogen, root rot?).

Thanks for your help
Old 01-07-2003, 02:08 AM
paghat

In article , Slo guy
wrote:

Hi
I bought 2 female and 1 male artic kiwi's last fall and planted them
in a sunny location (2 female are near a trellis and the male is
planted 15 feet away). While all 3 are still alive after the winter
one of the females isn't growing at all, the leaves are not as dark
green as the other 2 plants and the stems are green while the other 2
kiwi's they are red. The other 2 kiwi plants have grown around 3 feet
so far and I don't know if the plant is bad or if there is a another
problem (nitrogen, root rot?).

Thanks for your help

Planted just last fall isn't all that long. I would guess the slower one
is expending more energy developing its root system, & will eventually
catch up with the others. They like a great deal of water; root rot isn't
likely unless the soil doesn't drain.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 01-07-2003, 06:44 AM

I have noticed a big difference in the growth rates of male and female, and different
kinds of winter hardy kiwi. you may have a different cultivar too. if it is
growing, dont worry. Ingrid

Slo guy wrote:

Hi
I bought 2 female and 1 male artic kiwi's last fall and planted them
in a sunny location (2 female are near a trellis and the male is
planted 15 feet away). While all 3 are still alive after the winter
one of the females isn't growing at all, the leaves are not as dark
green as the other 2 plants and the stems are green while the other 2
kiwi's they are red. The other 2 kiwi plants have grown around 3 feet
so far and I don't know if the plant is bad or if there is a another
problem (nitrogen, root rot?).

Thanks for your help

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

[IMG] code is On

Hardy Kiwi problem. [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 25-05-2007 10:38 PM
Kiwi gender issues Right Star Edible Gardening 5 02-06-2003 04:56 AM
Kiwi? JNJ Gardening 9 27-03-2003 12:44 PM
Kiwi plants/clay soil SugarChile Edible Gardening 0 01-03-2003 02:39 PM
Kiwi plants Mark Edible Gardening 18 01-03-2003 09:52 AM