Old 02-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Joseph Meehan

Default Sun died grass

I just thought I would share a little problem I have had.

For years now during the summer a strip of dead grass has appeared in my
back yard. I had assumed that there was a 2x4 buried there from the
construction. I probed for it but never found it.

I found it last week. A bright sunny reflections was on one end of it.
It seems the sun light in the evening is reflecting off a window which just
happens to have a shape that is focusing the light. As the sun moves each
day it creates a line. The extra heat (and it is quite warm) is just enough
to kill the top grass. I had not noticed it, but the line moves a little
over the summer as the sun moves in the sky.

I am going to try switching windows with another of the same size in
hopes that it will not focus the light.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 02-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:12:38 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

For years now during the summer a strip of dead grass has appeared in my
back yard. I had assumed that there was a 2x4 buried there from the
construction. I probed for it but never found it.

I found it last week. A bright sunny reflections was on one end of it.
It seems the sun light in the evening is reflecting off a window which just
happens to have a shape that is focusing the light. As the sun moves each
day it creates a line. The extra heat (and it is quite warm) is just enough
to kill the top grass. I had not noticed it, but the line moves a little
over the summer as the sun moves in the sky.

How interesting. Rather like killing ants by using a lens to focus
light on them. Wonder why it doesn't happen more often, come to think
of it.

[IMG] code is On

Sambucus Nigra died away? ramyad Gardening 3 05-04-2009 12:05 PM
Grass for full sun Eigenvector Lawns 3 18-07-2007 12:23 AM
Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Pond Ice - Fish could have died Superkitt Ponds (alternative) 3 02-04-2003 09:32 PM
Goldfish died Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 11-03-2003 07:12 PM