Old 03-07-2003, 05:32 AM
spider

Default Tiger Lily

Here in Pennsylvania we have daylily that grows along side our roads and all
us Pennsylvania Dutch folks
call them tiger lilies. I have never seen them for sale at any of the local
shops. dose any one know the lily I'm talking about and more important where
I can get some?

Old 03-07-2003, 06:08 AM
gregpresley

The daylily you are seeing is the species called hemarocallis fulva - tawny
daylily. Another common name for it is ditch lily. It is rarely sold because
it is so common and has spread into big patches all over the east -
alongside roads, on old homesteads, in the woods, etc. (It's not a native
plant - was imported from Asia). Yank a little piece out of the side of the
road with some roots attached. (Or a big piece, depending on how much time
and energy you have.)(They are rhizomous - big fleshy roots). The plant is
so tough, it is nearly impossible to kill. Just plant that piece where you
think you want it (it will spread and spread over time), water daily for a
few weeks, then let it go. Some of the foliage will die back after you plant
it, but it will grow more, don't worry. It blooms mostly in early summer,
then the foliage flops, so it's not a favorite of neat gardener types.

Old 03-07-2003, 03:20 PM
Frogleg

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:26:24 GMT, "spider"
wrote:

Here in Pennsylvania we have daylily that grows along side our roads and all
us Pennsylvania Dutch folks
call them tiger lilies. I have never seen them for sale at any of the local
shops. dose any one know the lily I'm talking about and more important where
I can get some?

Daylily flowers grow on long, bare stalks from the base of the plant.
The plant has a sort of fountain of leaves like daffodils, but much
thinner, and its undergound part is a rhizome, like iris. Asiatic
lilies, and a simlarly-orange colored "tiger lily" grow from bulbs.
The flowers appear at the top of stalks with small, thickish leaves.

So...find a ditch. Find the owner. And ask if you can dig up a clump
of his/her ditch "tiger lilies." They're probably for sale
*somewhere*, but are virtual wildflowers in many area. They are, to my
mind, very satisfactory plants. A lovely display in the back yard
right now; a fairly good cutting flower -- each blossom lasts for only
a day, but multiple buds on one stem may bloom for a week or more
indoors -- and, edible, too! This is a no-lose plant, except that it
spreads. The foliage is reasonably decent from early spring 'til fall.
I can't say I've ever noticed any particuarly untidy display (unlike
Hostas, which noticably yellow and sag for a couple of weeks before
disappearing).
Old 03-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Vox Humana

"spider" wrote in message
Here in Pennsylvania we have daylily that grows along side our roads and

all
us Pennsylvania Dutch folks
call them tiger lilies. I have never seen them for sale at any of the

local
shops. dose any one know the lily I'm talking about and more important

where
I can get some?

Springhill Nursery just had it's huge catalog clearance sale at it's
facility near Dayton, Ohio. They had tons of them at the sale. You might
check with them, but since they cleared out their stock they may not have
any left. It seems they carry the same items from year to year so if they
don't have left you may find them next year. I have several huge clumps of
them. They multiply like rabbits.

Old 04-07-2003, 06:44 AM
B & J

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"spider" wrote in message
Here in Pennsylvania we have daylily that grows along side our roads and

all
us Pennsylvania Dutch folks
call them tiger lilies. I have never seen them for sale at any of the

local
shops. dose any one know the lily I'm talking about and more important

where
I can get some?

Springhill Nursery just had it's huge catalog clearance sale at it's
facility near Dayton, Ohio. They had tons of them at the sale. You might
check with them, but since they cleared out their stock they may not have
any left. It seems they carry the same items from year to year so if they
don't have left you may find them next year. I have several huge clumps

of
them. They multiply like rabbits.

I use the double version of "ditch" day lilies for erosion control in my
sloped yard and find they do well with neither care nor extra water. I
planted them outside my regular raised beds, where the only nutrients they
receive come from what leaches. They do a great job of preventing soil
erosion around the edges of my iris bed as well as a large, perennial bed
and have established a thick growth of plants in the past two years. They
also do a good job of blooming in spite (or maybe because of) no care.

John

Old 04-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Vox Humana

"B & J" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"spider" wrote in message
[...]

I agree. I have a patch of them on a slope and they work very well in
preventing erosion. I have them in full sun and mostly shade. In dry areas
and constantly moist areas and they are very reliable.

Old 07-07-2003, 01:45 AM
Tono

Vox Humana wrote:

"B & J" wrote in message

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"spider" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Just checking, since I've been eyeing them up lately also. Are the
ones you describe as doing well under all those conditions orange or
yellow? I was thinking of getting some of the orange ones. How
long do they bloom? And from what I recall (bad short term memory),
the leaves stay decent looking until fall don't they?

Tono

Old 07-07-2003, 02:20 AM
Frogleg

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:59:32 GMT, Tono wrote:

Just checking, since I've been eyeing them up lately also. Are the
ones you describe as doing well under all those conditions orange or
yellow? I was thinking of getting some of the orange ones. How
long do they bloom? And from what I recall (bad short term memory),
the leaves stay decent looking until fall don't they?

The common 'ditch' daylilies are usually orange, although most
varieties (and other colors) are pretty hardy. I've *got* to pay more
attention to fall floliage -- seems to me that the daylilies just
gracefully disappear. I *do* notice hostas becoming yellow and
unattractive for 2-3 weeks, so I'm not entirely oblivious.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:09 AM
Vox Humana

"Tono" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:

"B & J" wrote in message

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"spider" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I have the orange type that many people call ditch lilies. They do the best
in full sun, but they are do nearly as well in shade. I find that like most
daylilies, they bloom for two to three week. Each flower scape has 6 to 12
bud that open one or two a day and then fade. I find that they are among
the first plants to emerge in the spring. The foliage can get a little
rangy after they bloom but it stays green.

Old 09-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Barbara Yanus

I am in PA and I have a big bag of them sitting in my front lawn. You can
have them if you pick them up. Let me know

Bebra
NE PA
zone 6b

"spider" wrote in message
Here in Pennsylvania we have daylily that grows along side our roads and

all
us Pennsylvania Dutch folks
call them tiger lilies. I have never seen them for sale at any of the

local
shops. dose any one know the lily I'm talking about and more important

where
I can get some?

[IMG] code is On

Potted Tiger Lily - help! birdieb Gardening 3 12-12-2005 08:59 AM
Potted Tiger Lily help birdieb United Kingdom 6 10-12-2005 01:44 PM
tiger lily question Hal Gardening 0 15-08-2005 01:36 PM
The REAL tiger lily madgardener Gardening 2 10-07-2003 04:56 PM
Problem - Nymphaea Maculata (red african tiger lotus lily) lynsey Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 20-04-2003 06:20 AM