GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   compost turned into a worm farm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/35412-compost-turned-into-worm-farm.html)

Phisherman 04-07-2003 02:44 AM

compost turned into a worm farm

I've been layering azola from the pond, kitchen garbage, and old
compost to a pile that suddenly is riddled with nightcrawlers. The
worms are consuming the kitchen scraps in a day or two and the pile is
warm. Is this typical for a compost pile to turn into a worm farm? I
guess it's time to go fishin'

GrampysGurl 04-07-2003 02:32 PM

compost turned into a worm farm

Is this typical for a compost pile to turn into a worm farm? I
guess it's time to go fishin'

That has been my experience but since I started going organic about 5 years ago
I am no longer short of worms, I have plenty that are always looking to branch
out and feed. I was watching I think Gardening by the Yard the other day and
they were talking about worm farms and worm castings (poop) I believe the word
was.... Quite interesting how the process went. For whatever it's worth worm
poop is very good for the garden, people pay good money to buy it for their
gardens.
Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut

Julie Sloan 04-07-2003 03:08 PM

compost turned into a worm farm

On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:45:52 GMT, Phisherman typed
these words:

I've been layering azola from the pond, kitchen garbage, and old
compost to a pile that suddenly is riddled with nightcrawlers. The
worms are consuming the kitchen scraps in a day or two and the pile is
warm. Is this typical for a compost pile to turn into a worm farm? I
guess it's time to go fishin'

Not only that, but:

We bought two dozen nightcrawlers to fish with (our worms were small)
and brought home the ones we didn't use, to release in the compost.

Those nightcrawlers are prolific! Within two weeks (of release of
five or six) I cannot stick a pitchfork into the compost without
picking up three great big worms!

I know they're very good for the compost and garden.

Julie

http://www.bobsloansampler.com/

Bearskin to Holly Fork: Stories from Appalachia
by Bob Sloan ISBN: 1-893239-21-7

gary 04-07-2003 09:20 PM

compost turned into a worm farm

Why don't the worms get killed when the compost gets hot from bacterial
action? I am new to composting.

Gary

John McGaw 04-07-2003 09:44 PM

"gary" wrote in message
Why don't the worms get killed when the compost gets hot from bacterial
action? I am new to composting.

Gary

snip...

Most likely, limited though their brain power might be, they have the
instinct to move away from unpleasant conditions. Thus when it rains heavily
they head to the surface to avoid drowning and (presumably) when it gets too
hot for comfort they head elsewhere. BTW, I've always thought that the
smaller "red" worms were more efficient for composting and soil improvement.
For fishin' though...
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Return address will not work. Please
reply in group or through my website:
http://johnmcgaw.com

Julie Sloan 04-07-2003 11:08 PM

compost turned into a worm farm

I don't know that they don't, as my compost doesn't really get hot.
I have never added manure to it, so I suppose it's not a "real"
compost. Someday I might, but for now it's serving its purpose well.
g What John said about them moving away from unpleasant conditions
makes sense to me, but if you're using a closed container (I never
did), then they'd play hell getting to safety, wouldn't they?

Julie

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 16:12:43 -0700, "gary"
typed these words:

Why don't the worms get killed when the compost gets hot from bacterial
action? I am new to composting.

Gary

.. .

JNJ 05-07-2003 05:56 AM

compost turned into a worm farm

I've been layering azola from the pond, kitchen garbage, and old
compost to a pile that suddenly is riddled with nightcrawlers. The
worms are consuming the kitchen scraps in a day or two and the pile is
warm. Is this typical for a compost pile to turn into a worm farm? I
guess it's time to go fishin'

HA! Not on your life -- you're a lucky man (or woman, whichever the case
may be)!

The worms will help break down the organic materials and turn them into
good, healthy food for your plants. :) It is my understanding that they
will work their way up from the bottom as they eat -- when they get to the
top you can move 'em to another pile to get started munching that one down
as well. :)

Folks pay good money for worm droppings -- there are whole businesses that
do nothing but put worms to work making good gardening stuff. :)

James

Bungadora 09-07-2003 01:56 PM

compost turned into a worm farm

Phisherman

I've been layering azola from the pond, kitchen garbage, and old
compost to a pile that suddenly is riddled with nightcrawlers. The
worms are consuming the kitchen scraps in a day or two and the pile is
warm. Is this typical for a compost pile to turn into a worm farm? I
guess it's time to go fishin'

Delurking to comment that I used to know someone who used fishing worms to
compost over the winter in his basement. It worked well. He just kept it all in
a hamper if I remember correctly.

Dora