Old 04-07-2003, 04:32 PM
lbbs

Default What kind of soap can I use on Aphids?

My plum tree is infested with aphids I sprayed it really good with a soap
insecticide but did not help.
I far as I can tell it's aphids (small green bugs). The tree has lots of
sticky leaves and some webs on the leaves.
What else can I try?

Old 04-07-2003, 04:44 PM
paghat

Pope on a Rope.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 04-07-2003, 05:20 PM

something is attracting the aphids. you might want to put some tanglefoot around the
truck to trap the ants bringing in the aphids after you blow them off the tree with
the insecticide soap. webs suggest mites. Ingrid

"lbbs" wrote:

My plum tree is infested with aphids I sprayed it really good with a soap
insecticide but did not help.
I far as I can tell it's aphids (small green bugs). The tree has lots of
sticky leaves and some webs on the leaves.
What else can I try?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:32 PM
lbbs

what about putting some oil at the base of the truck? will that trap them?
What is tanglefoot, something like a stick fly trap?

"lbbs" wrote:

My plum tree is infested with aphids I sprayed it really good with a

soap
insecticide but did not help.
I far as I can tell it's aphids (small green bugs). The tree has lots

of
sticky leaves and some webs on the leaves.
What else can I try?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 04-07-2003, 08:32 PM
B & J

"lbbs" wrote in message
My plum tree is infested with aphids I sprayed it really good with a soap
insecticide but did not help.
I far as I can tell it's aphids (small green bugs). The tree has lots

of
sticky leaves and some webs on the leaves.
What else can I try?

The webs suggest spider mites. You can get rid of both aphids and spider
mites by using nothing but a reasonably sharp blast of water on the
underside of the leaves of the entire tree with no insecticidal soap added.
Do it two or three times a couple days apart. I use this method to control
aphids on okra, which reacts badly to insecticidal soap. If they show up
again, I repeat the process. It's easy and it's cheap.

John

Old 04-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Jan Flora

Tanglefoot is like really sticky axel grease. You paint it on the tree truck,
down near the ground, and bugs can't climb up the trunk. They get caught
in the tanglefoot.

Jan

"lbbs" wrote:

My plum tree is infested with aphids I sprayed it really good with a

soap
insecticide but did not help.
I far as I can tell it's aphids (small green bugs). The tree has lots

of
sticky leaves and some webs on the leaves.
What else can I try?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 05-07-2003, 05:56 AM
JNJ

My plum tree is infested with aphids I sprayed it really good with a soap
insecticide but did not help.
I far as I can tell it's aphids (small green bugs). The tree has lots

of
sticky leaves and some webs on the leaves.
What else can I try?

For the aphids you might want to try lady beetles. Wait until evening, even
better if the leaves are wet, then let the lady beetles out all over the
tree. They'll clean it up of aphids in no time flat -- I've let a few
batches out in our garden here and although we get aphids from time to time,
they never seem to last very long.

The webs and sticky leaves may indicate another problem however -- aphids
leave neither in their wake. This makes me wonder -- are you certain you
actually have aphids? As someone else mentioned, these are symptoms of
spider mites. Some spider mites look a bit close to aphids and depending on
your familiarity with aphids you might mistaken them.

I just did a quick Yahoo search on "plum tree spider mites" and it came up
with a number of decent links. One, from the Utah State University, has a
couple of good pics as well. The site is at
http://extension.usu.edu/publica/gardpubs/orchard/6.pdf if you'd like to
view it. I'm sure you'll find similar information elsewhere.

Hope this helps!

James

Old 13-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Carla

Try www.GardensAlive.com because they have something called Pyola. I
like it for all sorts of pests in my container garden (I don't get
very many beneficial bugs here). But remember, it will kill
beneficials as well. What you need to do is buy some ladybugs and
lacewings and let them loose in your tree. They will take care of the
aphids for ya.

Carla

Old 22-07-2003, 04:02 AM
John Savage

"lbbs" wrote in message ...
My plum tree is infested with aphids I sprayed it really good with a soap
insecticide but did not help.
I far as I can tell it's aphids (small green bugs). The tree has lots of
sticky leaves and some webs on the leaves.
What else can I try?

Aphids on roses and lemons congregate at the new tips. I spray those
ends of the branches with a 1:3 mix of methylated spirits and water.
The aphids die instantly and within minutes the spray has evaporated.

Methylated spirits (aka denatured alcohol) is about 98% ethyl alcohol.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in newsgroup)

Old 22-07-2003, 05:13 AM
B & J

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...

"lbbs" wrote in message

My plum tree is infested with aphids I sprayed it really good with a

soap
insecticide but did not help.
I far as I can tell it's aphids (small green bugs). The tree has

lots of
sticky leaves and some webs on the leaves.
What else can I try?

Aphids on roses and lemons congregate at the new tips. I spray those
ends of the branches with a 1:3 mix of methylated spirits and water.
The aphids die instantly and within minutes the spray has evaporated.

Methylated spirits (aka denatured alcohol) is about 98% ethyl alcohol.
--
John Savage (news reply email invalid; keep news replies in

newsgroup)

You don't have to spent your money on alcohol. I control aphids on my okra
with a sharp spray of water. It isn't quite as satisfying as frying their
miserable, little hides, but it's cheaper. G

John