GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   grass and water softeners? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/35493-grass-water-softeners.html)

Punch 04-07-2003 10:44 PM

grass and water softeners?

where I live the water is hard, we have a water softener, that uses
potassium is this good for my grass?

what about watering with hard water?

punch

zxcvbob 04-07-2003 11:56 PM

grass and water softeners?

Punch wrote:

where I live the water is hard, we have a water softener, that uses
potassium is this good for my grass?

what about watering with hard water?

punch

The outside faucets should be plumbed with hard water, bypassing the
softener. If it's not, you might want to manually bypass the softener (it
has a bypass valve) so you don't cycle the softener so much. Hard water is
fine for the grass.

Bob

Jeff Hancock 05-07-2003 02:32 PM

grass and water softeners?

I agree with Bob. I have a sodium based softener, and *too much* sodium is
not good for the grass or the garden (neither is too much potassium), so I
bypass the softener when watering the garden. Just have to remember to
reset the bypass valve before my wife takes a shower or bath ;-)