Old 05-07-2003, 12:56 AM
Vrstull

Default fragrant rose for shade

Is there a fragrant rose that will do well in a large clay pot in total shade?
Other restrictons are, it can't grow more than five fee tall and not as wide.
I live in a very warm summer climate w/ very mild winters. If you can think of
anything that would fit the space I'd appreciate the advice since I know less
about roses than the federal tax code. TIA.
Vic
Redlands, CA.
Old 05-07-2003, 02:32 AM
animaux

In a word, no. Do take a good look at www.vintagegardens.com and see if they
have come up with any of their many cemetery findings which may come close, but
that I know of, there are no roses, fragrant or otherwise which will flower or
do "well" in total shade.

If that rose is out there, these guys will know about it.

Victoria

Old 05-07-2003, 03:56 AM
Vrstull

Vic:
Feared as much. I'll just throw an azalea in there. Thanks.
Vic
Old 05-07-2003, 05:20 AM
Sunflower

"Vrstull" wrote in message
Is there a fragrant rose that will do well in a large clay pot in total

shade?
Other restrictons are, it can't grow more than five fee tall and not as

wide.
I live in a very warm summer climate w/ very mild winters. If you can

think of
anything that would fit the space I'd appreciate the advice since I know

less
about roses than the federal tax code. TIA.
Vic
Redlands, CA.

In *total* shade, no. In 3-4 hours of sun and the rest filtered CA
sun/shade, probably. The hybrid musk roses do well with remarkably little
sun due to the large amount of rosa multiflora in their background. Take a
look at Felicia, Prosperity, Robin Hood, Pax, Penelope, Clytemnestra,
Nymphenberg, Ballerina, Belinda, or Will Scarlet at www.helpmefind.com/ .
All will make attractive arching shrubs in the sun situation that I've
described. However, I'd ditch the clay pot. Clay is way too porous to grow
water hogs like roses in unless you line it with a plastic pot. They'll
still require watering daily and lots of food (water solubles at half
strength twice as often), but what you want is marginably doable.

Also, if you really want more sun lovers and have only shade, consider
limbing up the tree canopy that you are dealing with, or removing one or two
of the trees all together.

Sunflower
MS 7b

Old 05-07-2003, 07:32 AM
Bill R

Vrstull wrote:
Is there a fragrant rose that will do well in a large clay pot in total shade?
Other restrictons are, it can't grow more than five fee tall and not as wide.
I live in a very warm summer climate w/ very mild winters. If you can think of
anything that would fit the space I'd appreciate the advice since I know less
about roses than the federal tax code. TIA.
Vic
Redlands, CA.

Vic,

I have been growing roses for over 30 years and I have not
found one that does well in total shade. They will grow but
they won't bloom very well (if at all).

Can you find another spot for it (with at least partial sun)?
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden visit http://members.iglou.com/brosen