Old 07-07-2003, 02:40 AM
Quin Filips

Default Grapes falling off vines prematurely

I planted 3 grape vines 3 years ago and this is the first year I am
getting grapes. I'm so excited! Now the grapes are about half the size
of a marble and half of them have fallen off the bunches already. Is
this a sign of my vines lacking something or getting too much of something?

The Concord vines are covered with bird netting just to keep those
suckers in check and the pH of the soil is around 6.0 - just checked today.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Quin

Old 07-07-2003, 03:08 PM

what is your watering regimen? I dont think grapes like it that acid. look that up
and you may need to amend with dolomitic lime. Ingrid

Quin Filips wrote:

I planted 3 grape vines 3 years ago and this is the first year I am
getting grapes. I'm so excited! Now the grapes are about half the size
of a marble and half of them have fallen off the bunches already. Is
this a sign of my vines lacking something or getting too much of something?

The Concord vines are covered with bird netting just to keep those
suckers in check and the pH of the soil is around 6.0 - just checked today.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Quin

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Quin Filips

I'll check on soil requirements.
Funny you should point out the watering regimen. They are getting A LOT
of water. It has been raining for days and days. I used to water them
every other day before these thunderstorms came to town, now I don't
water them at all.

Thanks,
Quin

Quin Filips wrote:

I planted 3 grape vines 3 years ago and this is the first year I am
getting grapes. I'm so excited! Now the grapes are about half the size
of a marble and half of them have fallen off the bunches already. Is
this a sign of my vines lacking something or getting too much of something?

The Concord vines are covered with bird netting just to keep those
suckers in check and the pH of the soil is around 6.0 - just checked today.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks,
Quin

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 09-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Dwayne

Too much water, not enough water, and fungus can cause them to fall off.
Some grapes will do well in acid soil, others wont. I am not sure about
Concord, but Mars is a take off of Concord and they do well. I know
Thompson didnt make it in Arkansas, and we had acidic soil there.

Dwayne

Old 10-07-2003, 06:20 PM
Quin Filips

It must be the water - Too much. I have Lime and plan to sprinkle it
around each vine - just in case. Thanks