Old 01-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Al

Default Ginger?

Can ginger be grown outside in California.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2003, 07:21 PM
Charles

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 09:17:40 -0800, "Al" wrote:

Can ginger be grown outside in California.

Thanks

Some kinds, in some parts of California, yes. I have had white ginger
growing outdoors in coastal Ventura county for many years.

Can you be more specific? Which kinds are you interested in and where
in California are you?

_

- Charles
-
-does not play well with others
Old 01-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Jonathan Sachs

"Al" wrote:

Can ginger be grown outside in California.

California? Could you be more specific? Are you in San Diego, Lake
Tahoe, or the middle of the Mojave Desert?

I once tried growing ginger in my garden near San Francisco. It grew,
but something to holes through the roots, making it useless. I think
it needed better-drained soil than I had.

Send email to jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:43 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 18:21:59 GMT, Charles
wrote:

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 09:17:40 -0800, "Al" wrote:

Can ginger be grown outside in California.

Some kinds, in some parts of California, yes. I have had white ginger
growing outdoors in coastal Ventura county for many years.

Can you be more specific? Which kinds are you interested in and where
in California are you?

Oops. I read this as "can ginger be grown outside *of* California" and
was about to make a very snappy reply. :-)

Ginger is a tropical/semi-tropical plant and is pretty much toast if
it gets frost. My own cherished ginger in Palo Alto was killed not by
frost, but an over-active gardener. If it doesn't freeze where you
are, you can probably cultivate it outdoors.
Old 04-02-2003, 06:14 AM
Matthew P. Anderson

I dunno, there's something called "wild ginger" that
grows in zone 4. The roots taste like ginger.

Old 04-02-2003, 06:40 AM
Zemedelec

I've seen a lot of yellow ginger--Kahili?--very sweet smell, about 6 feet tall,
growing in Southern California.
zemedelec
Old 05-02-2003, 03:34 AM
Benny F. Sevilla

I have a few:

Kahili, White ginger, blue ginger ( not a real ginger), Curcumas; etc. and
I grow them all outside here in Pleasant Hill, CA (zone 9a) where we get an
occasional frost (just like last night).

Some of them lose their leaves in winter but quickly grows back when it gets
warm in spring.

Benny

Old 05-02-2003, 06:30 AM
Jonathan Sachs

"Benny F. Sevilla" wrote:

I grow them all outside here in Pleasant Hill, CA (zone 9a) where we get an
occasional frost (just like last night).

I performed my previous unfortunate experiment in Richmond, and I now
live in Oakland. If you can do it, I should be able to do it! Please
tell me, have you had any problems with something boring holes through
the roots, and if so, how do you control it? What have you learned
about the effect of local soil properties on your results?

Send email to jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:34 AM
Benny F. Sevilla

"Jonathan Sachs" wrote in message

I performed my previous unfortunate experiment in Richmond, and I now
live in Oakland. If you can do it, I should be able to do it!

You should be able to do it. There are a lot of homes near the Berkeley-
Oakland area that have them in their front yards.

Most of my ginger plants are grown in pots (outdoors) and I use the garden
soil from nurseries.

Those that grow on local soil do not have any rhizome borers.

The alpinia zerumbet, grown on local soil, seem to thrive on both sun and
shade.
One unknown species languished for 3 years in the shade and almost died
until I moved it on a sunnier place.
Two other varieties (also unknown) grew half as tall as they were supposed
to be ( that is probably the effect of the local soil and the environment)

The Curcumas grew and flowered a lot but it was a mixture of garden soil and
local soil.

My biggest problem are squirrels; they tend to dig around the plants whether
potted or earthen.

Benny.

Old 06-02-2003, 04:39 AM
Jonathan Sachs

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll ask my friendly neighborhood
nursery to recommend a variety, and give it a try.

Send email to jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

[IMG] code is On

Ginger bucket Stephen Wolstenholme United Kingdom 6 03-05-2009 12:48 AM
Ginger, glorious ginger Zemedelec Gardening 3 17-11-2003 02:02 AM
Ginger Variations augie Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:36 AM
ginger IC_Gardener Edible Gardening 4 14-03-2003 02:56 PM
Ginger? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 04-02-2003 02:07 AM